1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College life...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by step49x, Aug 27, 2006.

1. step49x

For those of you who don't know, I'm 18, gay, and just started college. Along with college life comes a lot of things I think about...

-Roommates - I've got a roommate that I'm sharing a room with this year. He seems pretty nice, although I currently don't expect us to become best friends or anything. I've only known him for a few days, but I'm currently doubting that he's gay. He hasn't mentioned anything about it yet, but then again, neither have I.

-Masturbation - a 'fun' topic, I know, but one I'm sure we all do. When/where are good places to masturbate? As I share a dorm with someone, it seems kind of wierd to masturbate in my bed, when I know he can come in the room at any time. It's kind of hard to cover up the smell, too...

-The traditional boxers/briefs/boxer-briefs question. I've been wearing briefs, but am thinking about changing. I've never worn boxer-briefs before, and am tempted to buy a pair to try them out. Boxers (which i'm trying out right now) seem really loose compaired to briefs.

That's some of the things I've been thinking about recently. I'll probably add stuff later.

2. Micah

Well lucky for you there are more guys on campus than just the guy you are sharing a room with :slight_smile: If you want to meet gay guys at your college its best to try find out if any gay groups meet up.

Assuming you have a private shower, its usually the best place. But in your bed at night when its dark is also another option. But having your roomie walk in when you're going at it would make for a fairly interesting senario :tongue:

Any particular reason why you feel the need to change? If you're comfortable then there's really no need to change. Everyone has their own person preference. I'm boxer-briefs, since I find them a whole lot more comfortable than boxer shorts, but again its a personal choice. If you're unsure, buying a "test pair" (not the one they give out to everyone in the store to try on!) wouldn't hurt at all.

3. step49x

Are there any "official groups?" Not that I know of. I'm going to an activities fair today to see what activities there are, and if there is such a group. I've got a feeling, though, that if there are any groups, they're all going to be the "underground" types.

4. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    What college are you going to? If it's a larger one then there are bound to be at least some gay groups, and, even if you're going to a college with 600 people in it, odds are that approximately 60 people would be gay/bi (according to some studies...). But yeah...if it's a religious based school...there's probably not going to be a whole ton of gay activity...

5. step49x

It's a private, religious-based college that's affiliated with the christian-reformed denomination. And yah, the school hasn't exactly been too supportive of any GSA group...

6. suburbs_of_sodom

ooh. that doesn't sound like very much fun...especially for a gay person...so yeah, good luck with finding other gay people on campus...you never know, there still might be a few...

7. step49x

The school has an enrollment of about 3,000 people, so statistically speaking, there should be around 150. It's finding those people that's going to be difficult...

I'm going to go run around online to see what I can find. I'm curious if the organization, whether official or not, has a website.

8. tired_of_lying411

theres still the rest of the world to find gay people, right?

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'd just do it in the room... I figured out really quickly how to do it relatively unobtrusively. And I seriously doubt any guy is gonna quiz their roommate about it (or even acknowledge that it's happening/happened) unless their roommate is extremely open and/or into them.

Boxers-briefs can be fun... I don't really like them in warmer weather as they seem more... well, constricting. I kinda alternate between briefs and boxers with the occasional boxer brief thrown in. Overall I like briefs better, though--they keep everything in place better.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gods... you're kidding me! Why on EARTH are you going to that type of school?!

11. tired_of_lying411

I was thinking the same thing...

12. step49x

When I was looking for colleges, having a GSA wasn't quite in my list of requirements (i've only started really thinking about the whole gay issue recently, and i mean really recently). I eventually chose this school because I liked their tech theatre program. I've been raised christian-reformed my whole life, so it's not really something I thought about (as in the denomination).

I found the official GSA webpage for an organization at my college. It's located here. Yah, it's not looking that great right now...

If you go here, you can see what it used to be like.

I might go poking around different people's MySpace's to see if I can find anything interesting.

13. nisomer

Together :icon_wink

14. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad I go to a Community College, but I don't know what is worse going to a community college or a university. The college I go to has no gay support groups or gay clubs like that. I don't even think there are any gay people at the college except some that act very fem.

But anyways, college to me is really different than High School, and I've been in college for almost 2 years now, I still haven't at all made a friend, and I get good grades in class. When I first started college I really wanted to make some friends, then when I found out that it was really hard to. I just stopped and paid more attention on class work then trying to gain a good amount of friends.

I had taken a class this semester that had focused on colleges and good studying ahabits, it says in one of the chapters. "Become friends with a classmate or student on campus" The another one "Find a mentor someone on campus that cares about you" Sadly the college is rather just sad because people have bad attitudes and they usually only got there to learn.

But anyways, I've never saw myself staying in dorms or having roommates...

15. step49x

Easier said than done...

So Brandon, it sounds like you are having some 'fun'... [/sarcasm]
    One thing that's going well for me so far is that for the most part, people are pretty friendly (i haven't come out yet here, so that may change..). I've gotten a few friends, but they're all "it's the first week of school and we've been trying to make as many friends as possible" friends. I have spent a decent amount of time studying, and I'm a pretty independent, introverted person, but I've been trying to talk to people as much as possible during lunch and not sit alone.

I don't expect to find myself the most popular person in the school, but I do plan on making at least a few good friends.

It's kind of interesting. My cousin is also at this school (my uncle teaches here). It's been interesting seeing him more often than the "couple times a year" that we used to see each other.

No particular reason I stuck that last part in there. I'm just typing...

16. tired_of_lying411

I plan on going to NSCAD an art university located in the city, about 2.5 hours from where I live now.

so yes, its an ART university, the only acedemic programs they offer are english/spanish (for the exchange program only! lol) so you can be sure there will be a FEW gay guys there :grin:

that should be interesting and quite a change from what im used to. Im pretty shy though, so having openly gay classmates will be nice for me. And with a substancially higher gay enrollment (im guessing) you can bet that the (most likely 'artsy fartsy') teachers will be quite accpeting, maybe even a a few that are gay themselves.

17. step49x

I'm majoring in theatre, which according to the steriotypes, should have at least a few gays...

Ahh, the power of Facebook... I've just found a couple of guys at my school that are reportedly gay, or at least are male and are interested in men. I'll have to do a little research to make sure they aren't just joking around.. :icon_roll

18. suburbs_of_sodom

Yep, I'm with you. Schools of art are bound to have at least a few gays...it just wouldn't be an art school without us :icon_bigg . I'm personally thinking about possibly going to Rhode Island School of Design...school of design...a large gay population is pretty much guaranteed just by the name. Ironically the major I'd go into (architecture) would be the one that is not stereotypically dominated by gays.

And if I decide to not go to a design school, then all the smaller liberal arts schools that I'm otherwise considering have large LGTBQA support groups which do things like queer and "gender-bender" balls, gay picnics, gay retreats, and other things which are apparently fairly well attended, even by straight people.

19. tired_of_lying411

so much opportunity just waiting for us... I cant wait!

20. suburbs_of_sodom

Oh I know! Though there's still a few more years for us sadly...