1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Torii, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Torii

How do I tell my dad (and my extended family) that i'm Bi? The people who I am most scared of are my dad and my great aunts :icon_sad:
    I have no idea how my dad will react but I think (hope) he will accept me, the only problem is, is that I only see him about once a month (he's a truck driver) and so I don't want to ruin his brief moment with us by making him upset or by shocking him :icon_sad: so can you guys give me advice about that?
    Also I'm scared of my great aunts because they are what I like to call SUPER Christian, when they found out that my family was converting to Morman they were very prejeduce and they told my mom (they're her aunts) that they didn't approve and that she should change her mind (they're pushy like that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )
    So I'm scared of how they'll react when they find out that they're great niece is Bi :icon_sad:

So do guys have any advice? :help:

2. FishMan27

You could write a letter. That's what I did for my immediate family. I don't know if you have a way to send a letter to your dad while he's on the road, but I think it might be a good idea to get it to him like a week before he gets home so he has time to process things.

I know for my parents, it was a bit of a shock, but they support me unconditionally. Good luck!

3. Minamimoto_Fan

For me, I asked the parent I most trusted, my mom, if we could have a talk alone. It was awkward, yes, but she turned out to be supper supportive. WIth my dad, I came out durring an argumen, and he told me he was mad, "not because [I'm] gay, but because [was] being disrespectful." (It was a stupid argument over something stupid, Dad/son stuff XD) Both of them are very conservative, and very religious(Still haven't told 'em I'm atheist now) but they came to be very supportive.

I understand why your scared, I would be too. My only advise would is to just go for it, and if they don't like it, then tough. You were born this way, you are a perfect person and have done absolutely nothing wrong by being a bisexual.

4. Torii

Thank you guys ^-^ I think I feel a bit more confident about telling my family (I don't think my dad will be to prejeduce but I do think he will be shocked and upset that I didn't tell him sooner :frowning2: but I'm still going to tell him ^-^ and as for the letter idea, sadly I can't write and actual letter (he doesn't stay in one place for more than a day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) but I can send him an email, so maybe I will try that, what do you guys think?

5. AlexisAnne

An email can be just as personal and have as much impact as a conventional letter, and I think that sending it to him a little before you're going to see him would be a good idea. As was said earlier in this thread, it will give him time to process the information and have a handle on the situation before he sees you again.

When I was coming out I spoke to my mother first and (as you can see from my out status below my avatar) I have yet to speak to my father. I kind of have the same fears with him as you do with your aunts, so I can understand that. He would probably know by know if he weren't living here with my sister and I.

Everybody in my family that I've told (which is almost everybody) has been supportive of my orientation, and I've yet to have a bad experience with them. Hopefully it will go the same for you :slight_smile: