1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend is in complete denial...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kylegf2011, Oct 28, 2012.

1. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The other day I talked to one of the friends I came out to, I thought he was completely ok with it, he said it was fine and he didn´t care when I told him. But it seems he isn´t. he was drunk, and started telling me a friend of ours asked him if I was gay, because he kind of got a vibe from me, he told him to ask me if he wanted, but I would say I wasn´t, and then he assured him I was 100% straight. At first I thought, well that was actually a good thing because I asked him not to tell anyone. But then he started said he knew that when I told him I was gay I was confused, because he knows I love women, and I can´t deny it, and he went on and on about how I do like women, and how Im straight and that me saying I was gay was just nonsense :dry:

I just ignored him, but it was weird, I mean he seemed very accepting when I told him (we were both drunk that time) but he was like, that doesn´t matter, you´re still the same.... and now....

its like he pushed me back in the closet lol :confused:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is a conversation you might want to have with him sober? It sounds like you need to re-come out, and maybe let him know that what he said bothered you a little bit.

3. TheSeeker

Clarifying question, did you tell him it was ok to tell other people and maybe he was just protecting you? Otherwise, it sounds like drunken denial to me. You could always just offer to make out with him... Kidding mostly. I look forward to making that offer to a couple of my close guys friends, just to see them jump.

4. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told him no to tell anybody, so it was a good thing that he didn´t, but then he started saying he knew i wasn´t gay and that he knew I liked girls and that all that gay nonsense was just that

5. TheSeeker

Hmmm, he sounds both loyal and confused. Sober conversation sounds like a plan... Let us know how it goes!

6. alberz

alberz Guest

Maybe he has trouble lying to people, so is trying to convince himself he isn’t. If someone came out to me and said not to tell anyone, I’d put loyalty to them above honesty. I’d feel uncomfortable lying to other friends, but I’d do it.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand why anyone has conversations about important topics when either they or their friends are under the influence. It just makes no sense, because everything said on either side is suspect. Even if you're dead sober, no guarantees that your friend doesn't interpret things differently.

I'd say... address it again with him. It's very possible he's having a hard time accepting it. But he can't push you back in the closet unless you let him :slight_smile: