1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I finally did it!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adamantium, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Adamantium

Adamantium Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone,

For the past few months I've been slowly coming out to friends I trust the most. One of them is a great straight female friend who has been my biggest supporter and best friend through all of this. She invited me to a Halloween party with her last night that was thrown by a couple she knows. She wanted me to attend a gay event. We had about 50 people in attendance and it was mostly gay guys and straight girls with a few straight guys mixed in. I was so nervous and even almost backed out at the last minute, but I went.

I AM SO GLAD I DID!

Everyone was so welcoming to me and I made some new friends. I live in a small college town in the deep south, so being surrounded by other people like me was such a huge change and relief at the same time. I met new people, had a few dances, even got kissed! On the way home (I rode with my friend) she told me a few of the guys there talked to her about me when I was away getting a drink or dancing and I have some interest. The biggest compliment of the night?

"They said to keep your mask off because you're too cute to hide that face."

I feel so alive!

2. TheSeeker

Good for you man!!! I look forward to having that kind of courage when I am fully out! May you continue to live life richly.

Also, what was your costume?

3. Adamantium

Adamantium Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm usually really reserved, but last night was such a big step for me that I had to talk about it here. It's still a one step at a time process for me, but I took a huge step forward.

I went as a Splicer from the video game Bioshock. This isn't me, but here's an example of what I looked like.

Splicer cosplay 2 by ~pretty-piranha on deviantART

4. TheSeeker

Epic! Well have a very happy halloween!

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2012 at 08:57 PM ----------

Also... Welcome to the forum!

5. Adamantium

Adamantium Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I realize this should have gone under "Coming Out Stories." Sorry about that.

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! It definitely takes a lot of courage to go out of your comfort zone. But I find once we do, the rewards are usually really great and fulfilling. :wink:

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's wonderful that you went and as Lance indicated, it took a lot of courage to attend. Happy for you that you have also received compliments and had a great time!