1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on Coming Out to Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CalebCael, Oct 29, 2012.

1. CalebCael

Most of the time this has been a simple task. I'm pretty open about my sexuality now. There is the issue: one of my best friends doesn't know. Mainly because breaching the topic with her just doesn't sound appealing. The problem is, now that many people know, the word could travel about and get back to her. That's something I'd rather avoid.

What makes this one difficult is that, she is very much religious and conservative (borderlining on bible belt tendencies), she also doesn't "get" the whole homosexual thing. This also shocks me because she's really quite intelligent, and usually the more intelligent the person, the more tolerant and understanding the person. Clearly not the case. I mean she's not really homophobic.... just very ignorant to anything relating to LGBT+ issues.

I basically want to know, how would be the best way to broach the topic, especially so that I can properly explain it before the word goes down the grapevine?

Thanks in advance for any help!~<3

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

Given what you have mentioned, I would tend to think that spending an afternoon with her, and inviting her for a coffee or a bite to eat will give you a good opportunity and chance to talk with her.

Alternatively, and maybe this is something to think about, is to be just yourself around her, and maybe come out to her with the support of other friends. If your friend is ignorant about it, seeing that others support and accept you, she might feel the need to begin changing her views/ways a little bit. It could provide for an educational opportunity. :slight_smile: