1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is going to be a bit harder than expected...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adamantium, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Adamantium

Adamantium Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what he said?

Nah, in all seriousness, yesterday I attempted to "test the waters" so to speak with a friend I want to come out to. We've been close friends for the past two years and usually get dinner together once a week and pick each others' brains since we're both academic types in similar fields.

Anyway.

My friend is also very Catholic and a proud Republican. Atop this, he is also from a well-to-do family and has lived in a sheltered world most of his life. If you saw one of my earlier posts, you know I went to a Halloween party this weekend and it was my first gay event. Yesterday he and I were hanging out and he asked me about the party. I told him it was hosted by a gay couple and he asked me if a lot of gay people were there. I told him yes. Then he dropped this diamond of wisdom on me.

"You know, just because a guy is gay I don't see why he still couldn't enjoy vaginal sex with a woman. It just seems that way to me."

How do I even deal with THAT?

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, a lot of straight people seem to think that. Being gay isn't all about sex and that's what a lot of people believe to be true. Just like with me, because I like women, some people assume I just haven't found the right man. I'm 26 now, I think I know who I prefer in bed. Just relax, if you wanted to, you could have stated your opinion. Whenever I'm around people who criticize gay people, I defend myself subtly. Some people do not know that I like women and I prefer to keep it that way. It's hard to debate the issue sometimes, so I agree to disagree. It ends the conversation peacefully without me getting offended and outing myself. Although, I've been tempted lately. I mean, I'm out but to everyone who's important in my life. Anyway, I'm rambling...If you want to come out to him then go for it, but only if you feel comfortable.

#2 pinklov3ly, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  3. TheSeeker

Come out to him if you think it is safe and tell him exactly why you don't find vaginal sex appealing! Educate him! I don't understand it either, but then I am Bi... I know that a Kinsey 6 guy usually can't stand vaginas.

4. Lewis

I'd have probably replied with the following 'You know, just because a guy is straight I don't see why he still couldn't enjoy anal sex with a man. It just seems that way to me' :rolle:

5. Colours

This would be the greatest comeback. I'm so keeping this in mind for whenever someone says something similar!

6. BudderMC

You know him better than us, but if he's an intellectual type, I don't see why you can't simply re-educate him.

7. Neutrality

Ya know I had a friend who was alot like that and I had pretty much assumed that when I came out we wound't be friends anymore...and low and behold he didn't care at all..I felt like an ass for doubting him so much =(

8. MichaelB

Education doesn't really factor into something like this sadly enough. One of the smartest people I know, academic wise atleast, is also the most narrow minded, racist, homophobic person I think I could've possibly met. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: