1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for Studying Physics?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hiems, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Hiems

I’m in the middle of an introductory physics course in college. It is difficult, and I think it is because I’m not studying efficiently. I know that unlike other courses, physics requires you to fully understand the concepts before doing problems. I don’t know why, but I’m not grasping the material.

Here’s what I do… I read the textbook and take notes before I go to lecture. I come to class having an idea of the material, and I hope that the lecture clarifies everything. He explains concepts and does example problems. I feel like I understand them. Then I do assigned practice problems and get them correct. I look over my notes as well. But when I show up to the test, I end up doing poorly. I don't think it's because the exams are unfair; everything on the exam looks like content from lecture and textbook.

I think my problem solving skills are awful. I’ve taken math courses up to calculus and received A’s in all of them, but I seldom had to think critically when solving problems. I simply remembered how to use equations to reach the answer. My high school physics course was the same as well; it was really just “plug and chug” method, a process that does not foster critical thinking at all. Consequently, I’m having difficulty with physics in college.

I’m thinking about talking to my professor and asking for help. Most likely he’ll point me to a tutor, but even then, I don’t know if that is adequate enough.

I feel so awful right now… this is the first university course that I'm struggling with. =/ It’s 4 credits as well, so doing poorly will drop my GPA significantly. Right now I'm at 3.8 and I need to maintain a 3.0 minimum to stay in the program. Even though doing poorly won't endanger me, courses get even more difficult as the years progress, so I need a GPA safety net. Most importantly, I don’t want to do so badly that I have to retake this course.

For anyone who did well in physics – do you have any tips to improve?

2. Crassus

Crassus Guest

It sounds like you have really good study habits, which is good. Keep doing what you are doing, but you should definitely talk to the teacher. My grandpa is a physics professor, and he loves it when students who are struggling come to him for help because it shows that they are trying. You say you have no problems with the assigned problems? How are the assigned practice problems compared to the test? Maybe ask if he can give you more practice problems that force you to think more critically. Does your teacher have office hours where you can go ask questions? If so, take advantage of that. Don't be afraid to ask him questions whenever you don't understand something.

Also, do you know anybody in the class? Study groups can be really helpful for some people (as long as people don't get too distracted when you are supposed to be studying). Sometimes your peers can explain something in a way that is easier to understand, because they talk on your level. Sometimes teachers talk above their students because a concept that seems simple to them may be harder to grasp for those who are just learning it. Also I have found that it really helps me to explain a concept to someone else. Whenever I study with friends and they ask me a question, explaining it to them helps reinforce my knowledge. Or if I can't fully explain the concept, it revels the gapes in my understanding.

I hope some of this is helpful. Good luck!

3. FashionDisaster

I've always been pretty good in physics and I'm getting an education degree. I might be able to help out.

Firstly, I agree with Crassus. Professors usually prefer students who ask them a lot of questions. It shows your trying and sometimes they will be a little more lenient in grading your work.

There might be a physics study room at your college. If there is, there should be times with older students there specifically to help.

Here's a few questions just to try to narrow down where your having issues.

What sort of questions do you tend to get wrong on tests? Are they word problems that require you to give mathematical answers? Application of theories and laws to explain what happens?

Do you find yourself either forgetting or mixing up theories, laws, or equations?

Could it just be nerves on being tested? Perhaps you made a few mistakes on the first test and became to worried to do well on the others.

for me I find that writing down the general form of the equations I think I'm going to use on a problem and rearranging them to solve for the missing variable before even worrying about specific values pretty helpful. Doing this reduces a lot of problems to simply plug and chug.

Lastly, here is a link to some problems with explanations on how to solve them:

AP Central - Critical Thinking Questions in Physics Part 1

Perhaps you could point out some that are similar to what your struggling with?

4. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Learn to juggle. I'm serious. If that's too frustrating, try balancing things, sliding things across the floor, bouncing a superball, experimenting with homemade pulleys and levers... whatever sounds like fun.

Some people need to experience physics in a very concrete and obvious way. If you're otherwise smart, trying hard, and you're still having trouble with physics, you are likely to be such a person. Once you get plenty of hands-on physics experience on a basic level, you may turn out to be really good at it.

5. ScottDraper

There was one engineering class in college in which I was doing poorly. I never attended class and didn't do a lot of the homework. When the final exam came around, I hadn't read like half the book. So what I did was *memorize* every example problem in the entire book, and worked them repeatedly until they only took seconds.

On the final exam, almost every problem was only a slight variation on the example problems in the book. I blazed through the exam and was the second one finished. Ended up pulling decent grade in the class, even though I never found out what my grade on the test was. Had to have been close to 100% (I needed it.)

Looking back 25 years on that lesson, ignoring the not-attending-class part, I think my strategy was sound. Even though we stress learning concepts in class, and supposedly disdain memorization, the truth is that our intellect has no facts to operate on without having memorized an awful lot of them. It's quite amazing how smart we become when we know a lot.

More than likely, most of the problems on your test use techniques that are described in your book, and if you have absolute mastery of those techniques, then the problems on the test will practically solve themselves. Let me stress, don't just understand the solved problems in the text, master them, and memorization is a good first step.

6. ezkill

Having taken many math and physics courses, I can help you out with this one... It's not about knowing the formulas or simply reading and copying notes... and it's not even about being able to do a sample problem.

You need to read, reread, and breathe the definitions and examples you see in class, on the homework, and in the textbook. For some people, it clicks instantly, and for others, you have to do the aforementioned.

Start with the definitions and equations. Before reading the next sentences in your book or notes, think about what they mean. Think about the implications, and what would happen if they weren't true. Try to come up with your own problems. Then, when you study the problems in the book... look at what they are asking for... Compare each example in the same section, and see if there is some commonality between them. Look for patterns of the authors' thought process.

I hope this helps. This is how I studied more abstract math in my undergrad. It works for any class that requires a lot of critical thinking.

7. Hiems

@ Crassus: Exams questions are similar to practice ones. He’ll seldom put a practice problem with numbers switched around. Some are exclusively concept based, while others involve both math and concepts.

He only assigns practice problems with calculations. There are concept based questions that he doesn’t assign, but doing them should help me understand the content better.

I know students in my physics course, but they’re too busy with other courses. Physics is the least of their worries – human anatomy eats up a lot of time. So a tutor might be my best bet.

I agree with you about studying with others; I’m studying with peers for orgo, which helps so much. Explaining a concept to someone or asking questions reinforces the material for me.

@ FashionDisaster: Application of laws and theories to situations trouble me the most. It likely comes down to me not picking them up instantly through the first read. Like ezkill said, reading the textbook several times while asking questions and looking for patterns in practice problems should help.

@ Farouche: Hands on approach sounds like a good idea. Using the modeling kit for orgo helps me understand stereochemistry better.

@ ScottDraper: I agree that the first step is memorization. Then you have to understand and to apply what you remember, which is where my problem starts.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I hope I can survive physics >.<