1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and Christian?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stryker, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Stryker

Stryker Guest

I am pretty sure that there are hundreds of threads about this exact thing but I just now reached this point in my life so I decided to make my own :icon_bigg

I have known that I am gay (despite me denying it for years) for a while now and I am just now beginning to accept that. However, at the same time I am trying to become a Christian. I am firm believer that being gay is genetic because from my perspective no one would choose this lifestyle. My perception of Jesus is that he loves and accepts everyone. Whether gay, straight, black, white, or something else that I couldn't think of, He loves us all the same. My family says that Jesus is that way until it comes to homosexuals...

This question goes out to the mythical creature known as a "gay christian"

How did you do it exactly? I'm struggling with trying to merge who I am with Christian ideals. However my problem could stem from the fact that for twenty years I have completely disregarded all religions.. but that's another thing entirely.

Looking forward to the responses! :help:

2. Pain

Pain Guest

Hi there :slight_smile:

Actually, Christianity and sexual orientation are both entirely compatible! See this for a thorough reasoning and analysis as to why being gay isn't sinning in Christianity, but if you still have yet to be convinced, look up these verses in Hebrews-- 8:6-13; 9:15; 9:25-28.

Remember those people Jesus hung out with? An old prostitute, a few tax collectors, lepers, beggars... Jesus was there for those who were in need. Those who seemed to have no help or hope left-- those unclean and those who were condemned by laws of the Old Testament. The thing is, Jesus loves-- and your family is wrong to say that his love stops at people being gay-- and to say that he doesn't is to limit his power, when a fundament in this faith is that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. There is no limit, and that includes his capacity to love.

A gay Christian can live just like a straight Christian. And, I don't mean to sound antagonizing, but being gay is not a lifestyle-- it is simply a characteristic of you.

3. SkyDiver

I struggled for years and years with this, but that was ONLY because I kept hanging on to the false belief that homosexuality was somehow "sinful". It tore me to shreds because I was conflicted about how my sexual orientation worked into my Christian faith.

I told God to give me an answer, and He finally did, a few months ago. He opened my eyes and from that day on I know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being same-sex attracted. It's a part of who we are, just like our eye color.

God knew your inner being looooong before you did, and He loves you unconditionally either way.

I wondered for so long what possible good could come out of me being gay. And wondered how I could be gay and Christian at the same time. But recently God has really been putting a calling on my heart. I feel it's my duty to go out and help others who are struggling with this exact thing. To help them realize that they don't need to change anything to come to God, and that they're perfect just the way they are.

4. csocm

I actually just did a post on another very similar thread, it also has to do with a common dilemma of gays in church. I agree with everything above, and I guess my main input is my idea that God loves everyone and that he doesn't care about if you like guys or girls, he just wants you to be happy and to be a good person. But I think most of all, he wants you to be you, and that includes being gay.

5. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I want to be the first Gay Ultra Conservative Traditional Catholic.

Tell them to get off the HATE and get on with the GREAT!

Because God is Great and LOVES us ALL!

6. Stryker

Stryker Guest

Thanks for responding everyone! What you all have said aligns with how I view Christianity, but it gets difficult to hold on to that when a verse like this is thrown in my face:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

^Someone please explain that one to me :/

7. Pain

Pain Guest

That Corinthians verse is actually explained in the link I provided in my other reply. :slight_smile: The word "homosexuality" is quite a new word, derived from Latin and Greek words for "same" and "sex." Therefore, the Bible can't really reference a word that didn't exist back then! It's a translation issue, that if you go to early English versions, it reads something like "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." Matthew Vines dissects this verse, among others, to reveal a rather nebulous translation from Greek that actually doesn't reference homosexuality at all!

Read the transcript I left in the link! Seriously!

8. Stryker

Stryker Guest

Sorry! I was meaning to read that but I got caught up in writing a paper for my humanities class :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

^Reading it now :grin:

Also, thanks for responding!