1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What my mom said a few days ago...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jsmurf, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jsmurf

Sort of jokingly, in response to me saying that I'm anxious to move out again and be on my own because it's too emotionally wracking on my nerves to always live with family,

"We don't care whether you wind up with a girl or boy, but for god's sake... please don't leave us to rot in a retirement home when we become too senile, we enjoy living with you."

And I always assumed my mom would take a while to be reconciled with the fact that heterosexual marriage might not be the right thing for me. Or that it would take longer than with my dad.

Still, I don't think it means anything... My mom's opinion on things is subject to major fluctuation depending on her mood. Just because she said this once doesn't imply that she won't say something more disparaging on the issue in the future when the next verbal altercation arises.

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2012 at 11:46 PM ----------

But it marks the first time I've ever seen her say anything this bluntly unambiguous on the topic. So I'm cautiously happy, haha.

#1 jsmurf, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, at least she said it and put it out there. I rather hear that and have it be true for at least a little bit(or permanently if she really feels that way) than hear something negative all the time.

3. jsmurf

Yeah, you're right. I'm just a bit in disbelief still, I guess, because I've known for a while that my mom is more concerned with having grand kids than my dad. My dad has said so himself: "Your mom might be pretty worried about whether you and your brother have kids, but it's not something I personally lose sleep over."

And she's not really well-read on the topic of surrogate parenting, or of really anything related to LGTB parenting options. So why would she be so accepting?

#3 jsmurf, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. Alan Lewrie

Well hey, all that sounds pretty good. :thumbsup:

5. jsmurf

Yeah. Im starting to feel a little more bold about introducing my future first bf to them when/if that time comes.

Still feels too weird to talk about cute guys with my mom, but deep down I think she wouldnt object to it. :grin:

It's all quite pathetic. It's something that needed to be sorted out when I was still 16.