1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a higher power?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by julia, Oct 30, 2012.

1. julia

I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember but I've recently went through a lot of bad experiences that has me wanting to have something good to believe in. I'm really lost and lonely and I don't know what to do. Help?

2. Rose

Hi Julia,

In the past I've sometimes been envious of those who have their faith to give them strength and comfort during dark and lonely times. I cannot say I believe in God in a traditional or religious sense but I do pray to a God sometimes to ask for help or strength or courage for example. Your concept of a higher power can absolutely be determined by you. Some people see their higher power as their support network- perhaps a group of friends, or even a community like EC. Have you tried praying? I don't use prayer very often but I have tried it and I found it quite a spiritual experience when I really gave myself time and space. I like to light a candle and sit quietly with my thoughts first...

Your feeling of loneliness will likely pass. Keep posting and take care

Rose

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a fellow atheist, let me tell you things CAN'T always be bad. Life happens in cycles, sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

Weather the storm with someone people who care about you

4. julia

I don't think I've ever actually prayed but I've tried talking to anyone out there, but only in my mind. Thank you so much for your help <3

I am spending a lot of time around people I love. I used to always like to be alone but now I can't stand it, my mind just runs wild.

5. mattloveshugs92

I am a gay christian... the bible does not in any way condmen gays at all, people, are mean sick and giant contradictions, and just use it like they did with slavery, the inquisition, the great schism, manifest destiny, and homophobia... no matter what path you take, just be strong, and smile, because you will get through it. I am 1/4 native american, but saying god hates me for bieng native, is way out of control but 100 years ago it was a normal view point.... but no matter where you go, on your journey, people are mean, critical, rude, snarky, and hateful, ignore them, they are a waste of energy, and valuable time. if you accept your own orientation, then their opinion no matter what creed, or doctrine you follow, is not needed, and wont matter at all, i hope you can be your self smile, and feel happy :grin: <3 best of luck~ matthew.

6. julia

Thank you so much for your kind words :slight_smile: <3

7. madi

I am also an atheist. For a lot of people even if they don't believe in god praying is calming, many people will use meditation instead to relieve stress and calm their nerves.
    Also like was mentioned there are many ways to feel a bigger purpose or higher power without believing in a god. I personally turn to science often times when I fell this way. I think of principles like (energy can neither be created or destroyed which is cool because you are just trading energy with other things. Same with matter, all of the atoms that make up our planets us included, originated from the stars) This makes me feel connected in a way to the universe because we are all made of things from out there and transform and move energy around just by living.

8. julia

I may just look into that, thank you!

9. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Just remember no matter what you are a wonderful person, and there are many many people who care about you.(*hug*)

I know I pray when I am upset and lonely or scared. It helps calm me down, and lets me keep a handle on things when things get bad or sad at times. (*hug*)

LOVE is a powerful thing. I believe that there is a higher power that is made of LOVE and LOVES everyone. (*hug*)

Hehe. as you can tell I find ((((((HUGS))))) helps a lot too :icon_bigg

10. julia

Thank you so much! (*hug*)(*hug*) You're too sweet.

11. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be believe in a higher being or God until I learned that I was gay. So, I lost my faith in God; I could not understand why would he make gay if it was a sin. But after much soul searching I started to believe again, well...I became agnostic; I didn't know what to believe. But then again, after I recently loss someone close to me, I had to start believing in God. It's the only thing that's keeping me sane. I need to believe in something good, it's what gives me hope and makes me stronger. It'll take time believe me, I know. I'm looking for a gay friendly church to attend, but the last time I went to church, I felt like I was being brainwashed.

Perhaps, you should start praying at night before you go to bed. I used to, but I didn't think prayer worked. It didn't work because I was asking for something that could not be changed. I tried to pray away the gay, but it didn't work--obviously because I was born this way. Pray for good physical/mental health, friends, family and whatever else you want. God works in mysterious ways, so don't get frustrated if your prayer isn't answered in the way you asked. Things will be fine, just believe in good things and good things should follow, but you have to be positive.

#11 pinklov3ly, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  12. julia

I think I'm definitely going to start praying, just so I can do something good. Thank you so much, good luck on finding the church for you (*hug*)

13. mattloveshugs92

no problem :grin::grin::grin::grin:
    add me :slight_smile:)))

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am sorry that you've had some bad experiences (and I'm not just saying that; I know what some of them are, and I am still flabbergasted.)

I think atheists can actually use a higher purpose. The dichotomy between religion and rejecting all spiritual experiences is a false one. It is possible to be an atheist but still have profound, transcendent experience. While I'm still an atheist (although no longer antitheist), I still see the value of believing in something that is true, vast and powerful beyond me. For me, it's chivalry. (I was specifically looking for a spiritual warrior code, and I looked at, but ended up rejecting the others, for various reasons.)

I just want to say that it's still possible to experience meditation, peace, balance, ethical centeredness, and belonging without believing in divine powers.

15. julia

Thank you so much, it's nice to hear that there's something out there for me even though I don't believe in God. (*hug*)

16. Caudex

Caudex Guest

The world doesn't work that way. The existence of a god is not conditional upon your problems.

17. julia

I don't believe in god, nor am I asking for people to tell me to pray to a god. I was hoping people would tell me what they look for in people and the world to keep their hopes high and I got that.

18. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's had bad experiences, so she's looking for something good/positive to look forward to. I think some people often question the existence of God when things happen to people that cannot be explained. I think God put us here and we all have free will. If something bad happens, some people try to blame God; it's the world and the people you surround yourself around.

Hey, Julia, perhaps you should surround yourself around positive people :slight_smile:

19. Adelaida

I'm agnostic, and I don't believe in a god, but I do believe in a higher purpose. What helps me when I'm having a rough time is to find a way to help someone else. Volunteering at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, community center, spending time with a child in need. Anything I decide to do introduces me to someone who has it worse than me, and still finds a way to wake up every morning and do what they have to do to survive. Sometimes they even manage to do it with a smile on their face. I've met people who've been through the absolute worst life has to offer and they still have the courage to build relationships with people, and find it within themselves to trust again. Plus you meet other people who help for no other reason except that it's the right thing to do. I might not have faith in god, but I do have faith in the human race. For every person out there who hurts someone, there's a stronger person getting back up and dusting themselves off, facing the world again. Or someone who can face the world again if the rest of us give them the right tools. It might be a rose-colored way of looking at it, but at the end of the day, all you've got is perspective. And you get to choose yours.

20. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what exactly you're going through, but I can relate to pain since I'm going through alot of pain in my life as well.

I believe in God, but I think it's also important to turn to the people around us when we're suffering. You can always talk to me, and if not me, I just hope that you have SOMEone to talk to. Give yourself something to look forward to each day, just to keep one foot in front of the other, and helping others is a great way to feel part of something greater than yourself. <3