1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are Alliance meetings like? (GSA, LGBT Alliance) Is it worth going?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hawknelson, Oct 30, 2012.

1. hawknelson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I said this in an earlier post, but I'm a high schooler (16) at a community college for dual enrollment. If I was still at my high school I definitely wouldn't go to one of these meetings since I'm still in the closet and its high school kids were talking about. But I'm at a community college now and they have a meeting every Friday. I was thinking about going. I don't really have any friends this year, they're all back at high school. And anyways, the only people I don't want to know I'm gay (at the moment, I plan on telling them before graduation though) is my family. So if people knew I was gay from going to that I wouldn't care so much.

I just don't want to go if these meetings live up to the hype; all I hear is that it just affirms the stereotypes. Butch girls and effeminate guys. I don't wanna go If that's really how it is. Im not like that, and i dont want to be around a ton of people like that. So does anyone have any past experiences. Good or bad? Should I give it a shot this Friday or not? My hopes with going are to meet some people I can be comfortable around and be friends with.

2. Gen

Gen

Many LGBT communities in college are a lot more diverse than seen in highschool. The majority of people on GSAs in highschool are the ones who have already come out, which usually isnt many, or the ones who are assumed to be by everyone else. In college, many more people are out and open.

Anyway, I strongly believe that even if you go and see what you think are the stereotypical people there then you should still give it a good chance. The issue with the stereotypes of the LGBT community is not that they display effemininte men or butch women, its how they are protrayed in that role. I'm sure you now many female friends who you can relate to and probably arent very flamboyant and totally fab ;D

You should assume that all more effeminite men or masculine women are going to act that way either. Most of us arent.