1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ex

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Axon, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Axon

Hello everyone,

My ex and I have been broken up for a tad over 5 months now after being in a one-year relationship; I should note that this was a first serious relationship for the both of us. While breaking up was very difficult, we did so in a civilized manner and have been able to remain friends. Because he was studying abroad, this all happened via Skype; I didn't see him in person until the school year started in September. We haven't spent too much time together, but we still say hi, hug, etc. when we see each other in passing.

Last Friday night, my friend and I ran into him and his friends at a party. We hung out with them for the remainder of the night. During this time, I noticed that my ex was avoiding having too much interaction with me: barely spoke to me, minimal eye contact, would leave to text or get a drink. He also kept complaining about how he was jealous of the people that had coupled up to dance/make-out. We were all going to split a cab to go back home, but we weren't able to find him, so a few people stayed behind to wait for him; he's pretty chatty, so I figured he was chatting it up with someone.

Fast-forward to today, my friend (who had stayed behind) told me that she saw my ex making out with some guy she didn't know. This made me feel oddly uncomfortable, which surprised me since I thought I had pretty much moved on. I've been with other guys and imagine he has as well, but hearing about it disturbed me more than it should have.

I care about him a lot and want nothing more than for him to be happy, but I can't stand hearing about him with someone else. I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to dating/break-ups, so I don't know how I should feel/react. Am I being immature by feeling/reacting like this? Can one remain friends with an ex or will those feelings always be there? Do I have to somehow stop caring about him in order for these feelings to go away?

I know that these questions are difficult to answer, but I would really appreciate some input from you. Thank you for reading.

2. stonewalk

well the first thing to keep in mind is that if emotions made sense or were whatever we wanted they wouldnt be as powerful or important as they are. secondly what i gather is that he may feel similar. was he complaining about the other couples directly to you?
    maybe you could try talking to him briefly about it. dont make it seem to urgent as to seem distressed.

3. Axon

He was talking to one of his friends, but I was right next to them. Because of the music, he wasn't being particularly quiet, so I heard him every time he said it.

4. stonewalk

well i guess jealousy is apart of serious relationships, i have been there and i cant say its fun. there arent many ways to make it do, rather just keep distracted from it. focus on your own ventures and endeavors. just immerse yourself in your own social life/work.