1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is moving my only option?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stridenttube, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Alright, so this might be a dumb question but its been on my mind a lot lately. I don't think this state is really the most accepting environment. I've never seen a gay couple out in public (that I know of) and in high school there were only two people who were out and they were heavy drug users and pretty weird.

So my question is this: I'm pretty shy and no one hits on me as it is. Not any LGBT groups in the area that I know of anyway. The thought of trying to find a job out of state overwhelms me, and i dont want to leave my family. if I ever wanted to date someone and find love ( which I do ) would I have to move to a more liberal state to even stand a chance? Feeling kinda hopeless at this point.

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I know how tough it can seem. You might have to move just to find a liberal state. You might want to wait until the job market gets better, so probably two or three years more if Obama remains president vs. 10 or 11 for a Romney presidency.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Which sucks because my family and everyone else I'm close to lives here. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy being single, but I'm beginning to think that I'm should give up on that goal of finding someone to share my life with. :icon_sad:

4. FashionDisaster

Since your 18, are you by chance planning to go to college? If so, I think you should consider an out of state school if that is a possibility. I am someone who would never dream of leaving the west coast though, so I have a small bias against most of the rest of the country lol.

If your not going to college or can't go to an out of state one, you still can find someone. I'm sure if you look up your closest major city, you will find some sort of LGBT group there. Here is a link that I found from a quick google search: Oklahomans for Equality

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Don't know if I'm going to college. Feel like I'm to stupid to do it haha. But if I do it would be in state. Thanks for the link btw.

6. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Just thought I'd let you in on a little secret..... YOU'RE NOT STUPID! :wink: Just saying (*hug*)

7. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Maybe not completely stupid. I just don't work well under lots of pressure. :eusa_doh: