1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Gay) I honestly CANNOT tell if he likes me or not?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UniquelyLove, Oct 30, 2012.

1. UniquelyLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So it's been 2 months of school. Currently I have 3 major crushes, but I am beginning to feel a little bit more for this one guy.... Let's call him "J". So J is pretty big compared to most people in my grade. At 6'1 and 190 pounds, he isn't very tiny. He recently just lost weight too, (like I did), and he has turned into a sexy MOFO! We're both in 9th grade (Freshmen year), of High School, and have only known each other for 2 months. I really am starting to develop *stronger* feelings for him, and I think he may or may not like me... I honestly cannot tell. Some hints are him giving me hugs at times, for no apparent reason, and telling me he loves me (and omg do the hugs and words feel amazing! I just want to melt in his arms).... He even did this, when we wouldn't really talk. Yet, he does this to a lot of other people, (boys and girls), so it's a pretty confusing situation for me! He also "checks out" other girls in front of me, and lets girls sit on his lap in front of me, I guess to get me jealous, and it really does work! (Although I may just be over thinking this too much =( )! Last Friday, we were doing group work together, and he grabbed our poster board, and rolled it up into a cylinder-like fashion. So out of nowhere, he begins whispering stuff in my ear like: "Pe~nis", "Ass", etc, and it was quite uncomfortable for me, and I just smiled at him. He then was talking about gay stuff with me, and he said he was just joking. Now this is where it gets weird... He then out of nowhere whispers very quietly in my ear: "You have a nice ass (;", and I just say "What?", like I pretended he said nothing! And I blushed a little bit, and he then said "Nothing". In class, we switched seats also on Friday, and we now sit across from each other in my History Class. Well we were doing group work, with my new group, and I notice him staring at me. I then looked right into his eyes, and he winked, and I just pretended like I was looking at the mirror above him. He's really kind and stuff with me also! Whenever I see him during passing period, he taps me on the shoulder and says "Hiiii", and smiles at me, and he always seems to make me happy, when I am in my b*tchy mood! He's also a skater, and *OMG who doesn't like skaters*?! He is just so kind.... and stuff.... But idk :frowning2:! I am also quite small compared to him (Only 5'4)! I have EXTREME low self-esteem issues, and I mean EXTREME. From a scale of 1-10, I would say I am at 9.5. I recently lost 35 pounds, (173>138), over the summer, in order to create new beginnings and opprotunities for myself. Even though I lost that much weight, I still look in the mirror, and see an ugly fat whale, with tons of stretch marks, ugly hair, greasy skin, and a no life loser. I, at times, cry, and just feel ashamed of myself. I am going to begin dieting again November 1st, since my birthday is coming up, and I want to award myself with losing another 15 more pounds! So anyways... Other hints are "J" calling me a slut/whore, and telling me I dress like a slut, and he just smiles and laughs with me, cause I also call him a whore. J's birthday is coming up on Friday, and I asked him if he wanted anything. He just said he wanted a Big Booty Hoe, and we laughed together.... Later on he just winked at me, and it was sorta weird (Lol)! So yahoo.... Sorry for such the long read! I know this sounds like a soap opera, my teachers tell me I love to write! What should I do about this situation? Should I just tell him how I feel? What if he doesn't like me, and he isn't gay nor bi?! I haven't felt like this about a boy in such a long time, and it really is coming to the point where I just want to kiss his warm moisty lips, and be with him forever.... :frowning2:

2. UniquelyLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for the long post! Haha.

3. Gen

Gen

Well, I think we need to address something first. At 5-4 and 138, I would beg of you not to continue to lose weight. If you want to work on your body than working out is great, and if you naturally lose weight than that would be fine. But it would be really unhealthy for someone in mid-teenage years to try dieting and lossing a lot of weight when they are already small to begin with. As long as you arent overweight, weight doesnt really help appearance. Tightening and toning can, but weight is very specific to the person. Its ok, to have stretch marks, almost everyone does. I do :L. I dont care what description of yourself you paint for us, I have no doubt you are amazing, and have no right to think of yourself as any less. Please dont be so hard on yourself (*hug*).

As for the guy, he is definitely a suggesting fellow :lol:. I actually have a similiar relationships with some on my current and past friends. He could be gay or bi, he could just be a very open and comical person. My friends joke around like that all the time. First, I would say to give back what he is giving to you. Dont take it so seriously. I used to freeze up when people saids sexual things or "You have a nice ass." Now I'm like, "Well of course, its amazing :wink:" lol. Secondly, and the real advice I would give, spend more time with him. He is obviously taking an interest with you atleast as a friend, so I'm sure he would love to hang out.

You dont have to ask him specifically. Just ask him what he is doing for his birthday. Or joke about 'having no life' lol. Since I am guessing you would be too nervous to ask him to hang out, get him to ask you. Personally, at this point. I dont know that I would advice you to admit your feelings just yet, because even if he felt something it is very possible that he could freeze up. I would just show some interest. Try to spend more time together outside of school so you are a lone.

4. stonewalk

the above advice is fantastic but i would just add one thing, you can test the waters and potentially get a feel for his orientation if you find a way to get on the subject of LGBT things and get some of his opinions.

5. Amicus

Hello UniquelyLove,

This part of your post worries me. A lot. You have dropped 6 Body Mass Index levels over the course of a few months. That kind of quick, dramatic weight loss is neither healthy for your body nor sustainable. Please be sure that you're eating enough. Restricting your food intake too much will have nasty consequences for you both physically and psychologically.

Equally concerning are the self-esteem issues you've described. Why do you think you feel this way? How much would you say these feelings affect your day-to-day life? Do you talk about these issues with anyone?

I think it would be worth your while to look into these concerns more before you pursue any crushes. I'm afraid that you might feel more compelled to "perfect" yourself---with disastrous consequences---if you throw yourself headlong into these emotions. Enjoy being around the people you're attracted to, to be sure, but be careful how much of your energy and attention you invest in this when you don't know (a) whether they're gay/bi and (b) even if they are, whether their behavior is more than just innocent flirting.

6. UniquelyLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know this isn't safe. I ate only about 500 calories a day, and burned 600 calories a day, by running more than 5 miles, thus consuming negative calories. It really worked out for me though, I ate tons and TONS of Fiber and Protein, and have been eating the same breakfast everyday since I began: Greek Yogurt. I really do think I have a problem though, I just feel so freaking fat! I used to skip lunch, but now I really need it, because I could barely survive throughout the day with a yogurt and fiber one bar. I think I feel this way because it's the truth. I like to sometimes even exclude myself from saying hi to people, because I feel like everyone is looking at how fat and stupid I look, even when I probably don't! On Monday, I was wearing my XS Polo, and felt so good in it, but when I looked in the mirror, I looked so stupid, fat, and greasy. I forced myself to wear it though, but covered it with my sweater for half the day. I sometimes go on gay video chatting websites to boost my self esteem, by people telling me I'm hot and sexy, but not believing them, and just changing and changing cams. No one really knows about my issues, but I do eat normally now, even though I feel horrible at times. Like, I binged this whole weekend, and ate so much food (Chips, candy, pie, etc), but did not gain weight! I am even hungry all the time now, for some reason. I always need to check my hair at lunch, and fix it, because I feel so stupid if I don't check it. I also feel this way, because I feel really lonely at times, and just feel worthless :frowning2:... I also really like this guy, so yea.... (Sorry if I sound crazy)! I just wish my life wasn't so hard.

#6 UniquelyLove, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  7. Amicus

Then you definitely want to get this looked into. From what you've told me, you are currently trapped in a full-blown eating disorder. These eating and thought patterns all have the textbook characteristics of anorexia. Restricting your food intake and exercising to that extent has done hundreds of thousands of calories' worth of damage to your body.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you consider a normal amount? Even if you're eating normally now, odds are that it's not enough to meet the truly massive energy deficit to be filled. That's why you feel hungry all the time and are feeling the urge to binge. When the body enters starvation, it tries to force you into feeding it by dramatically cranking up your appetite signals. Your body is begging you for food, and you should feed it! Lots! Let me say that again: if you feel the urge to binge, you should let it happen. It's not really a "binge" so much as reactive eating: your body is attempting to get the energy it needs.

The good news is that all this damage is reversible. Clinical guidelines for males under 25 recovering from eating disorders stipulate eating 3500 calories per day with absolutely no exercise. That number seems like a lot, but it includes calories for (1) your daily energy needs (2) repairing the damage done to your organs and (3) returning you to a healthy weight. Feel free to go beyond 3500 if you're hungry for it. It's best to slowly increase your intake by 250 calories for the first 2-4 days and then make the jump to the 3500. If you continue to restrict your food intake, you risk eventually developing heart disease, osteoporosis, and kidney failure because your body will inevitably be forced to eat itself to keep you from dying of starvation.

(*hug*) I know this can be a difficult thing to talk to people about. Eating disorders often try to convince us that we can be strong, stoic, and self-reliant. But you are in serious danger of falling further into the hole if you feel ready to lose another 15 lbs. You have a disease, and you'll need help throwing it off. I've been down this road too. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

#7 Amicus, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  8. UniquelyLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your concern! I eat roughly 1700~2200 calories a day now, depending on my mood, and am probably hungry all the time, because I LOVE FOOD and snacking, and my body is growing! And I have a question, what do you mean by "more than innocent flirting"? Again thanks for your response! I will be going to the doctor on Thursday for the first time in MONTHS, too talk about it with them!

9. Amicus

I'm glad that you're eating more. :slight_smile: But that range is likely still not enough to meet the energy needs of someone of your age, height, weight, and gender even if they have no history of eating disorders. 2200 is probably touching the lower range of what would be enough for you under normal circumstances, but amounts as low as 1700 definitely still qualify as restriction. But also remember: these are not normal circumstances. Your body is almost certainly still reeling from the months of self-administered starvation.

It's also a good sign that you're able to say you love food. But do you really think that's the only reason you're hungry all the time and have binge episodes? I'm not a doctor, but I don't think it's that much of a stretch to speculate that your increased appetite has a lot more to do with times when you were taking in less than 0 calories than it does the normal energy needs of a growing body (which, by all means, you should feed!).

Please do speak with your doctor about this. I would also highly, highly recommend that you consult a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. These kinds of thoughts you're having about your body and your desire to become even thinner are very, very dangerous when coupled with a past history of extreme restriction. You are putting yourself at serious risk if you attempt to lose more weight.

As for the "innocent flirting:" not all flirting (or what seems like flirting) is necessarily a signal that the person wants anything romantic/sexual to do with you. They could be joking. Or they could just be using "slut" and the like as terms of familiarity/friendly affection. Or they could be nursing a deep, insatiable love for you. I only wanted to suggest that you not read too much into this kind of behavior since it could be caused by many things.

10. UniquelyLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When things used to be so good... I can't believe I returned to this post today. I completely changed as a person since this day. Drank over him, got heart broken, don't talk to him anymore, became an emotional wreck... what has happened with my life? Wow.

But yet... I have fallen in love with him now. I wish that at the point I could've maybe stopped this little crush thingy. Since then it had evolved into something much more. I am in love with him still.

5/10/13.