1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reflecting on My 'Coming Out Anniversary'

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sartoris, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was a year ago that I first ever told anyone that, at the very least, I was confused about my sexuality. The difference of where I was then compared to now, mentally, seems almost unbelievable, particularly considering the relatively few active advancements I've made in self-acceptance [such as coming out more and visiting a local LGBT center.]

Then, both before and after opening up to a friend about my issues, I was just struggling with the idea of personal same-sex desires even though I'd explored my 'curiousity' online for a number of years previously. And even when I finally did so, I still thought I couldn't be gay. Trying to cling to the idea of being bisexual, obsessively wondering if I could be happy with a woman, as well as with a man [not at the same time, of course.]

Now, with the many many months that have passed and having come out to a few other people, I would like to think that most of my doubts have dissipated, yet I'm at a point where I think self-acceptance can only be possible by trying to re-engage myself socially. Even though I accept the fact that, more likely than not, I couldn't have a fulfilling relationship with a woman, on the other hand, despite how much I desire and fantasise about it, I worry about not only whether I can meet another guy but also whether I could function in one with a man. From the initial meeting to dates and, god willing, the actual relationship.

My lack of social experience, let alone in the area of romance and whatnot, aside, this last bit feels like practically the last thing stuck in my gears. Honestly, I'm not sure whether I intended this post as a 'celebration of progress' or an airing of grievences, but I suppose what I'm wondering now is if anyone else has felt similarly when coming to terms with their sexuality and/or whether it's in line with the process of acceptance.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off congrats on your coming out experience so far! You have come a long way! :slight_smile:

Being engaged socially can provide an additional layer of reassurance and also lay the foundations for finding another guy.

Being out there and engaging with others in a social setting, will also give you a chance to learn more about yourself. Someone might mention something that will give you pause, or allow you to reflect on, and in turn give you an opportunity to grow.

I think we all worry somewhere within us, as to whether we will be able to meet someone with whom it works out or will like and love us for us. To be honest, sometimes I do worry about it too, because my own track record isn't stellar when it comes to finding someone with whom it could work out. Through my experience though, I have also learned more about myself and I'd like to think that it has also made me stronger.

I suppose it is part of the entire experience, because coming out is the precondition to getting to know someone (even if it is just to try to get to know someone with a view of a date).

If you are on a date with someone, you will get to know or learn, what you would like from a relationship and what your idea and expectations are. One important aspect for a good functioning and healthy relationship is also knowing yourself, how you see yourself in that relationship, whether it be short-term or long-term.

In some ways, your lack in social experience as well as in having relationships, could act as a motivating force, because often times, the possibility of gaining new experiences allow us to become excited and wanting to learn something new.

3. The Queen Bee

Just take it easy, dude.
    There's no rush.

Start going to gay bars and keep going to the LGBT group meeting.
    It's baby steps. At the begining might be ackward, but little by little things you'll get more comfortable with things.

I've been blind folded for 23 years. During my high school years I thought I was asexual (I consider myself Grey-A). After graduating I realized that I "noticed" girls more often than guys. There were small hints here and there, but nothing to obvious for to get to the conclusion that I'm lesbian... The funny thing is that it's so obvious I'm gay. Like 80% of the estereotypes apply to me. *shrugs*

I was aware of my sapphic feeling when I was volunteering in the Amazonia and I got a major crush on one of the volunteers. At that point I was like "Really?? Is this it??"...
    The next couple of months I was wondering about that... I remember that I had a Co-Cultures class (fancy word for "minorities") and the LGBT topic was studied. I was like "Hmm... This sounds familiar"; but I wasn't really sure because... just because I had A lesbian crush doesn't mean I want to switch teams, right'?

By Dec of that year I was obsessively watching this movie and I realized that despite the fact the movie is awesome, I was mainly watching it because I had a major crush on one of the protagonists. And so I started to come out.

Going to a gay bar as a gay woman was outside my comfort zone. lol
    Also going to Pride. But nothing that couldn't be walk off. Overall it was fine.
    I think being open about my orientation (and being able to rant with my friends) made it a relatively easy transition.

"My lack of social experience" = The easiest solution is to become friends with that one kid that mingles everywhere.

4. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mirko: Part of what I worry about is what you said, but also I wonder whether the actual experience of being interested in another guy and/or another being attracted to me will live up to how I imagine it'll feel. To an extent, 'being' gay still seems distant to me as I don't think I've ever been in love with anyone, let alone another man. Just hoping I'm not idealising or romanticising it.

For the time being though, I do need to become more comfortable with having other people know I'm gay, as it still unnerves me to think about at times.

It's interesting that you mention getting to learn or know more about yourself. For awhile now, I've felt sort of empty, as though I don't know myself or lack a sense of personal identity [not just regarding sexuality, but in terms of any current personal relationships, my goals, interests, etc.] However, is there anything in particular you're speaking of when you talk about getting to learn more about yourself whether engaging with others and/or a date?

Trying to work up the motivation to meet new people is one of many things I'm hoping to work on, specifically by seeing a therapist at the moment. I've always been nervous about not being able to find someone to connect with, as well as being judged [on anything] by others.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences, but am glad you were able to take something away from all of them. On top of understanding yourself better, I imagine it gives you a better notion of how to interact with someone in those circumstances [when you're getting to know them (better) for the first time.] Hope you'll be able to find someone in the near future. :slight_smile:

5. Colours

I think I can say that it is common for gay people to, at some point or another, feel the way you do (don't shoot me if I'm wrong though). I haven't actually been worrying about it but I used to always have a hard time imagining myself together with a guy, despite of my fantasies. Then you could say it is different because I'm bisexual, but I've had the same doubts about girls, lol.

But in my case, when I actually fell for a guy, those doubts disappeared completely. And the same thing happens when I fall for a girl. It's odd but it's how it works for me.

6. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Queen Bee: Oh, I know there's no rush, didn't mean to come off as stressed or whatever. Just my tendency to ramble and self-analyze. :lol:

Going to a gay bar would be outside my comfort zone as well, mainly based on what I've heard from others on here. So if I were to go to one, I may wait until I'm able to do so with others. However, I'm definitely trying to go to the LGBT meetings more, and I'm also curious to see whether there are any 'specialized' groups, clubs, etc. for gay or LGBT people that could tie more directly into my interests.

That's pretty much how I feel, though it seems more complicated to me. For a good part of my life up to now, I never questioned that I was attracted to and would, eventually, be with a woman. Yet, I don't think I showed any particular interest in them and as I got older I would feel slightly more uncomfortable being around girls than guys [but I'm generally an awkward person, so maybe that doesn't say much.]

But I don't recall ever showing interest in guys during that time, and for that matter I've never had a crush on one, whereas I actually had a slight crush on a girl in high school... I only ever questioned myself after exploring my, erm, 'curiosity' online, but still didn't consider being gay because I looked at both men and women [though I've basically come to terms with that by now.]

I've seen people on here say that your sexuality is set in place sometime during the first few years of childhood, and if that is the case, what I hate is that I've been completely unaware of mine for most of my life. That if I'd been more social, maybe I would've known sooner. Or how my mind has teased me about being with a woman, since I can acknowledge their attractiveness and probably could perform with one, yet I feel something would be missing.

If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take for you to come to terms with your sexuality at first, once you became aware of it? Considering that, as you said, you felt you were blind for most of your life.

I'm sorry I ended up babbling rather than responding to your input. :confused: Going off your last bit though, it's not bad advice, however I don't know anyone like that at the moment. Especially since I'm not in school, currently.

Colours: Yeah, I mean since I don't have experience with either sex, they both, in a way, seem 'alien' to me. So it's like I have to go with my gut. It probably will really become more clear once I've actually fallen for another guy, whether or not he reciprocates those feelings.

#6 Sartoris, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your feelings about relationships and being able to find someone, could be related to you working on continuing to come out, and perhaps also becoming completely comfortable with being gay. As you continue to come out, and come to know that people accept you for who you are, you might also be able to say to yourself: "this is me, and I am okay with it." And with that you built self-confidence and worthiness.

As you continue to come out, and also get a chance to go on a date, you will get a good sense of 'what it feels like' to have feelings for someone, and/or being attracted at a deeper level to someone - to have that connection. You will have a whole range of firsts that will provide you with learning opportunities from which you can determine what is it that you are looking for in a relationship, or if you want, being with someone.

In terms of learning more about yourself, it includes what is it that you would like to get out of a relationship; how do you relate to the other person sitting across from you on a date? Is there anything they have said, you can relate to or has something struck a core? How do you fit into that?; what makes you tick? what makes you feel comfortable?

On another level, engaging with people, can also awaken new or dormant interests that will help you to continue building a personal identity. Our personal identities are not static, they can and do change as we continue collecting life experiences - some of the more profound than others.

Now, you do have a few personal goals, and you do have a few ideas about what you would like to accomplish, which become a part of you. They are a part of your identity, and they will allow you to keep building on it.

A part of what you have mentioned touches on the idea of: "am I going to be good enough - just the way I am, with all my quirks, and imperfections?" Related to that: 'am I worthy?' Of course tied to that is 'how will that attraction or relationship feel.' The answers are yes. But it also goes back to being able to say to yourself: 'this is me', no matter what others might thinks about it.

I think you are already on a path of learning more about yourself. Already speaking with a therapist is an opportunity for you to bring forward and become aware about the things that help to make you, you. It might also help in building more motivation to get to know more people.

Hope this helps.

8. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, while it's not something I so much consciously think about, I think deep down I'm still uncomfortable with it, even if I'm not fighting myself to accept it, or at least as strongly, as I had previously. Since there aren't many people significantly in my life at the moment, I'm not out to very many, so there's no one to talk to whether just to vent or from whom I may get help in meeting others and so on.

As of now, when thinking about the potential of meeting a man and having a sense of mutual attraction, it's a strange mix of pleasure and anxiety that I feel. So hopefully what you say is true, that if I'm able to be out to more people in the immediate future, it will build up my confidence and I'll be able to work towards a relationship more effectively.

When you speak of personal identities not being static, I assume you mean in an 'evolving' sense, that the foundation for one's future identity lies within them, rather than some sort of radical change? As far as goals, that is something I would like to work on, because currently I lack the drive to accomplish anything that is important to me.

"A part of what you have mentioned touches on the idea of: "am I going to be good enough - just the way I am, with all my quirks, and imperfections?" Related to that: 'am I worthy?'" It's funny, I think I've realised this to some extent, but I thought about it in slightly different terms. Thinking more, 'Am I capable of giving or receiving love' rather than worthiness, though I suppose it's basically the same thing. Perhaps it has to deal with my sexuality to an extent, but I think it also ties in with issues I feel I have in connecting with others. As though I've been a robot for much of my life.

Even though I've only had one session so far, I believe therapy will be very helpful in the long-run, though I'm not entirely sure what to expect from it as of now.

Yes, your and everyone else's comments have been helpful so far. :slight_smile: I'm always grateful for outiside opinions on my non-stop reflections.

9. The Queen Bee

lol
    You're describing me here. XD

As I mentioned, I was pretty much like that too.
    Growing up I never really questioned my sexual orientation. I guess I just assumed I was straight. In high school I thought I was asexual (I still consider myself Grey-A). After I graduated I realized I "noticed" girls more often than guys.
    I have had crushed on guys here and there (actually so far my biggest crush has been with a guy... O___O).

I'm not quite sure how to respond your answer.
    It became a lot more obvious for me when I had a major lesbian crush on a fellow volunteer while I lived in the Amazonia. Before her I have never liked a girl like that. Maybe because of that it took me so long to know I was gay. This crush happened around April - June 2011. But at the moment I thought: "just because I have A lesbian crush doesn't mean I wanna switch teams"; also because I liked this guy too...
    It actually took me a while to realize I had a crush on her. Originally I thought I just wanted to become close friends with her... you know, because I enjoyed her company. It wasn't until me and some friends were talking and she was coming our way to meet us that I realized that when I saw her coming I combed my hair and adjusted my clothing... I was like: "Huh. Really?"
    I was 23 here.

By October 2011, I had a Co-Cultures class and LGBT rights was topic. It sounded oddly "familiar". At that point the idea still hadn't quite sink. I knew I wasn't straight... but not sure what exactly I was.

In late November and December of the same year I became completely obsessed with this movie. Then I realized I had a major lesbian crush on the main character. A COMPLETE epyphany. It completely sank: "I'm am soooo gay".
    For me it's sort like... when you have a jigsaw puzzle and the pieces are on the right order but not put together. So you can sort of see the image, but it's not clear what's going on. That epyphany was the pieces clicking into place. I knew I had to come out after that.
    In January I told my sister, in late March/early April my parents and other sister and then my friends...

So, I guess it took me a little bit more than half a year...
    Then again... there has been hints since I was a child. I've been a tomboy all my life. I remember that I "admired" Pink Ranger (Amy Jo Johnson) and Phoebe Halliwell (Alyssa Milano in Charmed) when I was a child/teen. I thought it was because they were cool... Now looking back at it, I'm pretty sure I had crushes on them as well. Come to think of it, I've felt drawn to more female character than male characters...
    Also 80% of the estereotypes apply to me. *shrugs*

In all honesty, I'm not quite sure I'd be out if it wasn't for that epyphany. It'd probably be still blocked somehow given that I don't get big crushes on people that often (again I'm somewhat asexual). *shrugs*

This is the long story:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/1202426-post8.html

Also, if you're interested in late coming outs, you might find these interesting:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/suppo...ke-you-figure-yourself-out-2.html#post1196288
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/support-advice/72921-straight-leaning-bisexual.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/comin...-late-bloomers-30-;-how-did-you-came-out.html

PS: I read that you're going to therapy. That's awesome, dude. My mother insisted in me going to therapy (because for her "gay" is wrong). I went there just so mother and sister would shut up but it turned out to be really cool. The dude is awesome, gay friendly... plus he saved my eyebrows. lol (I got trichotillomania... =P)

#9 The Queen Bee, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  10. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I never wondered if I was asexual, actually it was awhile before I ever learned of that, looking back it almost seems like I was. Sometimes I think I may be demisexual, because general awkwardness aside, it's weird trying to even think of specific guys sexually. :confused: But since I've been coming to terms with the fact I'm attracted to men, regardless of how that realisation came about, I have been noticing them more. Even to the point of nervousness, occasionally. :lol:

From the way you described your female crush, I imagine that the ones you have or have had on men feel very different? When I think about that girl from high school, it doesn't seem like a serious one to me, since it was more that I really enjoyed her company and talking with her than anything else.

As far as guys are concerned and though I'm like 90% certain I'm gay at this point, and your puzzle analogy seems right on the money here, and though I'm unsure whether it that counts getting 'those' kind of feelings just thinking about being with someone of the same-sex, or from watching films and seeing images of such couples, or not but I think I'm still waiting for that "epiphany moment" like you had for yourself.

To be honest, your hints, at least about liking the female characters, seem more obvious than any I may have had. That must've helped a great deal when you became aware of your sexuality though, as long as it took in coming to terms with it and I'm glad to see that you did. Hopefully I'll be able to get at that point eventually. :slight_smile:

Hoping the therapist will help with my lingering doubts, though I'm still nervous about talking about it, as well as other personal concerns. Very glad that you ended up with a gay-friendly therapist, and saved your eyebrows :wink:, considering your mother's and sister's feelings.

Thank you very much for your replies, as well as the links which I want to check out, it's good to hear from someone who's been in a similar situation. :slight_smile:

11. The Queen Bee

YES!! Definitely.
    After I came out to family and friends, it's been a lot more obvious when in walking in the streets or whatever to find women physically attractive.
    I still consider myself Grey-A, though.

Not really.
    I have had that type of crushes with guys. You know... where you go all ackward and blush when they see you... and that you almost automatically try to get their attention your way without even realizing you're being flirty.
    To be fair, indeed, overall my male crushes has been platonic (I just really enjoy their company) but I have felt strong sexual/physical attraction towards a couple of men. That said, the sexual attraction after a while slowly starts to fade away.
    This is why I consider myself a Kinsey 4-5. I doubt I'll be with a guy again... but I can't quite discard the possibility (I'd have to let them know I'm a lesbian and that I don't think they can fully convert me). Then again, chances are the sexual attraction would go away little by little and I'll grow tired of him. I'm not quite sure I could fall in love with a guy...
    I've never thought of myself as bi, because I'm not...

I think you're quite there.
    I think you already have internalized the feelings... I thought I was a straight girl with A lesbian crush... Maybe just "not straight", but definitely 'I wasn't "gay"'.
    If it wasn't for that epiphany it wouldn't have completely hit me. I guess it would have been more gradual.

Hmm... Not quite.
    I thought it was admiration I had towards Amy and Alyssa'a characters. Sort of like "I wanna be like them"... and for a while I thought the same about Juno Kaplan (the character in the movie that gave me my epiphany). I thought that it was admiration and that I wanted to be like her because she's such a badass.

I guess I've been very blunt about it. So I guess since I've never really liked a girl until that volunteer, well... I've never quite questioned myself about it.
    When I was a junior (I think) in highchool one of my friends kissed me. I was like "thanks, but no thanks, hon" and just let her off the hook (never mention it to her)... Maybe if I had enjoyed the kiss or I had had feelings for her, I'd have been obvious to me. But, I felt nothing.
    Same with this bisexual girl when I was in Japan for exchange. She made it so obvious that she liked me... but I just didn't feel attracted to her.

Nonetheless after I came out to family and friends (and not just to myself) I started thinking in my previous years and yeah... there has been hints all around. I just didn't see them as such. I think for every gay person is like that. There are hints, it's just some of us didn't see them for what they were.
    Also I realized I have a MAJOR Oedipus complex. Like most of the people I feel sexually/romantically attracted to have the exact same stoic personality as my father... Yes, I secretly wanna have sex with my dad. (-_-")

12. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I would consider myself somewhere around Kinsey 5 and for a time I did consider myself bisexual. But as I opened up to the idea of same-sex dating and a relationship, I became far more emotionally invested in wanting to make that a reality than I ever had in thinking of being with a woman. In that regard, I think, personality aside, I'm more attracted to women physically rather than sexually.

So while I can appreciate women and cannot rule out the possibility either, I don't identify as bisexual since it's not what I want and I'm fairly certain, despite 0 experience with either sex, it wouldn't be the same regardless of how I felt about said hypothetical woman.

Suppose you're right, the last couple years has definitely felt like a gradual realisation. Just that, if it was going to be so, I just wish I was one of those who knew at six or seven or whatever they liked other boys and just didn't know what to call it yet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yes, that's what I meant, that they would've been helpful upon reflection, if not in the actual real-time experiencing of them.

As far as those experiences with the two other girls, I think it makes sense that they may not bring about your questioning if you weren't attracted to them. It has worried me that I never felt an attraction to another guy all throughout school and my two years of college, but as someone else told me, that could just be due to the fact I didn't really socialise with anyone who would've appealled to me in that way. And the one person that did, 'unfortunately,' was female. :lol: