1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by csocm, Oct 31, 2012.

1. csocm

I'm a senior in high school so right now my life has been college search. My therapist really suggests looking at schools to make sure they are gay friendly and everything. I actually hadn't really thought about it before she mentioned it. Right now, all the schools I am looking at are small (like 1500-2500) liberal art schools in like suburban or rural areas. They are all in I guess the mid-atlantic area, like MD, PA, and northern VA.

I wouldn't mind looking a little further away but within a days drive or so from Baltimore. Do you know of any good gay-friendly schools that match my criteria? Do you know of any way to see how gay friendly a school is? Like is there a website that could tell me?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know some people that have used this site to help them find gay friendly schools.

3. Maunglwin

Im at the same place as you are now...stressin bout colleges(essay, applications, recommendations, etc. AHH!!) Lemme know if u found any gay friendly schools, but I'm sure most colleges are fine since from thousands of ppl there'll be ppl who are like us! :grin: Im still searching but not seeing any college I really like. Good luck!!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oberlin, Antioch, and Kenyon (all in Ohio) are all topnotch schools with a large LGBT population. Oberlin in particular is probably somewhere around 25-30% LGBT.

Warren-Wilson in Asheville, NC is not in the same academic tier as the ones above, but has typically attracted a pretty large LGBT population.

There are quite a few excellent, very LGBT friendly, smaller schools in the New England area as well.

A lot depends on what your interests and possible intended major is; particularly at smaller schools, it makes sense to have some idea, since the smaller liberal arts schools, while still being diverse, tend to have areas of study where they are particularly strong and if you have a good idea of what you're after, it makes sense to choose one with a strong department in your intended area(s) of interest.

Feel free to PM me if you want more input, I'm originally from the DC area and at one point did guidance assistance with college placement at a local high school.