1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wishing I was different...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mitchell, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Mitchell

I've recently been very mad at myself...

I couldn't handle regular highschool, I had to do it online. I couldn't handle middle school - the teachers kicked me out every day and I would stay in a study room most of the day...

I really wish I was able to be more normal... I wish I was able to go to a 4 year college, but I can't. Instead I am in a career school.

I have Asperger's, and other mental health issues... I just wish I was more normal, and that I was able to attend regular high school, and that I could go to a traditional college... I feel like such a failure.

I just want to be... normal. I don't have any friends, any relationships... I just hate myself a lot recently... I wish I fit in and could handle life like others my age.

2. Dayon

Dayon Guest

I sympathize with you as I have cerebral palsy and it's okay to feel like your "not normal". That's normal. With time you'll learn that things are the way they are for a reason. You can't dwell on what isn't. You have to be happy with what you've already been dealt. Now that doesn't mean you can't better yourself but don't think "Just because I have a disability, I can't be me or be normal like anyone else. Think of it as a gift that you have in your own unique way. Never let your disability get you down. Prove to others as well as yourself that you are somebody and able to function and live & deal with what is as oppose to what could've been. If people can't accept you for you, then forget'em and move on. It's not deep. Life will always be a challenge for people but especially for people with disabilities. It's how you choose to live it that determines your outcome.

#2 Dayon, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  3. Jared

(*hug*)

You are NOT a failure, you are going to a career school and trying to better yourself, that's more than a lot of people can say. Just because you don't have any friends right now doesn't mean you won't have any in the future. Until recently I didn't really have any friends, just acquaintances, and I thought I was destined to be forever alone, but that eventually changed, so it can for you, it just may not happen as fast as you want.

Your Asperger's doesn't define who you are, it's a part of you not all of you. I don't know a lot about Asperger's, other than it makes social interaction hard. I can sorta relate to that since I have extremely bad social anxiety and it makes it really hard to make friends. I agree mental health issues do really suck, I've been struggling with mine a lot in the last few years and it can really get you down. Being normal is overrated anyway, just think how boring life would be if there was one idea of normal and everyone fit it.