1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need an urgent judgement call

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BudderMC

Hey guys,

I have a friend who just overdosed on acetominophen and is now going to the hospital. A mutual friend is taking her, and I offered to meet them there. Thing is, she told him not to tell us about that, but he did before hearing that request.

Do I go? :/

Thanks, of course.

2. Ben

Ben

The last thing you want is for her to feel betrayed by the only friend she has with her right now. So unless she lets him tell you that she's in the hospital, I think you have to sit it out.

3. Gen

Gen

I would go and insure her that I wont judge or treat her differently. "Mutual Friend" told me before you were able to tell him you didnt want anyone to know.

She is probably just ashamed and doesnt want it getting around, but you can unhear it. Plus, despite her pride, I'm sure she could use some support right now.

4. Pain

Pain Guest

Go, I'd say. A friend needs you, the reason is irrelevant. Act like you didn't hear it, just be there for them.

5. BudderMC

Thanks guys. I'm probably going to hang back, my friend said that she's probably going to be okay (or so he assumes). But he said he'd let us know if we need to be there for some reason and will keep us posted.

Much appreciated.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Overdosing on acetaminophen? Are you sure it isn't Vicodin (or an equivalent) that has acetaminophen in it? That's the most common way (and, sadly, it's *very* common) that people OD on acetaminophen, because Vicodin has like 10mg of hydrocodone and 500mg of acetaminophen, and poeple who take 10 Vicodin for the buzz run the risk of liver toxicity because of the acetaminophen.

If it is the case, it's an indication of a much more serious problem... opiate abuse or addiction. Just a heads up.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what I was thinking too. I knew somebody that permanently damaged their liver because the overdosed on acetaminophen too many times.

I hope that your friend gets the help that they need if they are addicted. If they aren't addicted, I hope that they have a speedy recovery.

8. BudderMC

No addiction as far as I know, I'm pretty sure she just took a bunch of acetaminophen. All I know is she was supposed to come visit us this evening, but bailed because she was feeling sick because she's been really stressed (her life's been falling apart the last week or so, long story). So my friend was planning on visiting her tonight anyways (and she knew), but about half an hour before he was going to go, she texted him asking if taking 20 of those was a bad thing. Needless to say he rushed over.

9. Mogget

I wouldn't visit her, but I'd ask your friend to ask her if she might want visitors later.