1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it strange to be jealous of straight people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tails Luver, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Tails Luver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so I kinda have this problem, and I wanna know if other LGBT people feel the same way. I'm almost always jealous of straight people. I envy how they can walk around holding hands and hugging and kissing their boyfriends or girlfriends like it's no big deal, and yet we're supposed to keep it hidden and not "flaunt it". I'm also kind of jealous about how they have so many people they can try and date until they find the right one, but there aren't near as many homo-, bi-, or pansexual people out there. I haven't even met another gay or bi person yet.

So, do any of you guys ever feel this way? :icon_sad:

2. BudderMC

Quite often. Trust me, you're not alone.

3. Crassus

Crassus Guest

Yeah, we definitely got the short end of the stick.

4. FollowtheFreeman

I'm sure that every member of the LGBT community has felt this at one time or another. Non-heterosexuals usually have to face quite a bit of hate and resentment so it's perfectly normal to be jealous.

For example: I'm a grey-a/demi-romantic/pansexual so I get flak in the following areas

*You're just gay, but lying.
    *None of those things exist.
    *I don't trust bi/pansexuals.
    *You can never sustain a 'normal' relationship.
    *You only live to spread AIDS.
    *etc...

Life is a b***h. We just have to accept it (and ourselves) for what it is and get on with loving whom we love.

5. Yes I do. Trust me I do.

6. jvn95

Jealous....

For me, more like anger/hatred. (A form of jealousy??, probably)
    I know that's wrong, but I really want to yell at couples, while I get sit on the steps by myself and wish I had someone to hold, I could care less about flaunting it, I can and will flaunt it when I get a boyfriend.

You are not alone bud.

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I actually made a thread about this not long ago. Straight people have it easier, but I'm over it. Once I admitted it, I felt better; I think I was looking at it from the wrong perspective. I'm lucky to be able to do all those things you mentioned, but with a beautiful woman. I'm pretty out and I don't care about what people think of me, so I'm not afraid PDA. It was awkward at first to kiss a girl in front of everyone, but I was thinking, ”Yep, she's mine, be jealous.” I felt like the luckiest girl in the world :slight_smile:

8. SheWhoHasNoName

Perfectly normal....

9. Brenny

I've definitely had my share of days being pissed off at straight people. It is completely understandable. At the same time, we can't always be mad at them. It isn't healthful. But yeah, it is completely unfair that we get shunned for things we can't help. Just find the people that will love you for who you are and stick to them. I find friends are the best help with this stuff.

10. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I don't have an issue with straight people but there are many days when I wish I could just be straight

11. Beachboi92

I don't think it is weird.

I get jealous that they can always hit on whoever assume that they are straight and it is no issue.

I get jealous that as a result they can easily "identify" potential people of interest

Also that straight men get to have their masculinity almost inferred where as I feel like I am in a constant battle. It seems like as gay men we are often in a fight to prove that we are masculine and it is annoying.

Also I have one friend that pisses me off so bad when it comes to men. She has no issue with talking about how "oh he is straight so you can't have him but I am going to" and generally purposefully trying to make me jealous (or so it would seem). However if i joke about "It's just a matter of how many drinks" she will get mad about that. And she is constantly bring up how made she is that this one friend of ours that she liked had a thing for me that he pursued because when it came out that he had made a move on me he cut us all out of his life. But she likes to blame me for the fact that he is not around. Just general ignorance to heterosexual privilege and what goes along with it drives me crazy.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I do feel very jealous about straight privilege, and what you outlined ranks high on my list. I really want to hold a man's hand in public. That's a lot different than saying I'm jealous of straight people. I am actually not jealous of them being straight; it's only their privileges that I'm jealous of. Just as far as sexual orientations go, I feel like I actually got the better deal.

13. Andrew91

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As some of you have said, I'm really more jealous of the privilege than necessarily their orientation as well. It would be nice if I could openly hold hands with another boy I truly liked or was in love with. When I had a girlfriend back in high school I held her hand, but no one would give that a second look obviously.

14. freecmax

I know where you are coming from, tales luver. It's not so much jealous for me, more like wishing I could be straight and not bisexual.

15. HeyBeard

Yeah, it does suck. For me mostly because i am only out to a few friends and I feel that I can only hit on girls in front of them, because of the whole awkward thing. And of course when you have a crush on a guy that you can't have, that sucks too haha. For me, I really just want to be accepted by everyone around me, that way it doesn't surprise them when I do decide to come out to them, I just want people to assume that I am bi. That's kinda hard though, because i don't even act any bit feminine, but yeah...

16. teluphone

I understand how you feel and coming from someone who is still entirely in the closet, i do find straight people having a somewhat easier and comfortable time when it comes to their discussion on relationships and even showing public affection. At least they mostly don't face as much hatred and discrimination from friends, strangers and loved ones as opposed to gay people

17. Redell

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In terms of love it is more difficult to find someone, but that makes it even more special when you do.

I sometimes feel jealous about the whole normalcy of straight love and how it's more accepted.

But I dunno, with straight people (no disrespect!) life just seems so... straight.

I mean all they really do is settle down and get married and then have kids, but gays/LGBT, they're just so unknown. What's going to happen???

There's so much straight literature and movies and all of that, but LGBT stories are so unknown and exciting. Being part of a minority has it's downsides, but it also has it's upsides. There's a whole sense of community with LGBT and we're living in an exciting time where LGBT rights are becoming a political issue and people's outdated opinions are changing.

I really like being gay in that respect, it's different.
    Straight life just seems to typical and ordinary. But then ordinary can be a nice feeling.

18. jaysuss

I'm jealous because of them being so freely accepted and not made to accept us. A pertain i told about myself said it is my past relationships that caused me to be who i am. I'm jealous because there allowed to be ignorant and place their hate on us. I'm jealous because they get to may who they want. I'm jealous because there worst worries are relatable to everyone and as a member of a LGBT community we have to deal with a racist hate.

19. fortheloveoflez

I'm definitely jealous of their dating pool size. It's like what, 98% of the population?

20. Data

Data Guest

That is one of the things that motivated me to come out.

I was always alone standing in front of all my friends as they made out with their girlfriends or boyfriends. I never had anyone. In conversations my friends would talk about their sexual endeavors and I'd be the odd man out.

It got to me over time.