1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusing encounter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MichaelB, Nov 1, 2012.

1. MichaelB

Well it was Halloween yesterday obviously and I went drinking with a few friends and after clubbing, before going home, our routine is to go for chips and a kebab.

Due to it being so busy, we were forced to sit with a man and a woman who looked a little coupley, and me and my friends are ridiculously social when we’ve been drinking. So instantly we started talking to them, just general chit chat. But I noticed that the man was staring at me a little. Like, I don’t know the usual protocol of ‘giving the look’, but most eye contact to me lasts a few seconds. Our eye contact lasted a good 10 seconds before one of us looked away. So that seemed to be a bit of a warning sign to me, no?

Anyway. My costume meant I was bare chested, in England, in October. On top of that I smoke. My own fault, didn’t think that through at all. But after the first time I went out for a fag, I came back in and was complaining I was gunna die of hyperthermia. Out of the blue he piped up and said he’d come with me and we’d huddle together for warmth if I gave him saves. Seemed fair and normal at that point, but the next fag, he was full on hugging me like out of that scene in Ghost. Caught me a little off guard because I really don’t know that many blokes who would do that. I of course didn’t object and just let it happen each time, but each time before he hugged me he would say ‘no homo’. So that whole little incident confused me quite abit.

We got talking though while on our own, he asked me my sexual orientation(again why would he want to know it?), told me he was single and where he goes to college/what school he went too etc. He also told me that the girl he was with, he just met, but was hoping to get with her so again, confusion.. I told him that I lost my keys and had no were to stay and he instantly offered to let me sleep round his. I declined because I was staying round one of my friends, but again, I thought that was a little too friendly and eager no? I mean I could be wrong, but I don’t think I’d ever pimp out my flat for anyone that I’ve only just met. And I especially wouldn't offer them a place if I was hoping to have someone over... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

We stayed in that kebab shop for about an hour, just talking. But oddly he kinda ignored me when we went back to the group, so again, major mixed signals. Usually we’re only in the place for around 5 minutes, so quite the difference.

So what was that? Was he hitting on me or am I over thinking it? And now comes the second half:

What should I do about it? I have an embarrassing habit where I’m unnaturally good at finding people on facebook. Like, I can find someone on one detail usually, I don’t even need to know the name. I found someone once based purely on where they work before. It’s embarrassing I know, and I don’t stalk people at all but I think my brain just likes the challenge of finding people >_>... Anyway, I found him on facebook. Should I add him? We don’t have many mutural friends, only 20 or so, and we go to different colleges so it’s not like I can be like ‘oh yeah I see you round college alot’. I would be adding him based purely on this one encounter, and all he gave me was his name. It’ll be abit creepy if I add him yeah? I mean if someone added me on facebook when all I gave them was my name, I’d be freaked out. On top of that, he might not even recognise me. My costume pretty much changed my entire appearance, brown eyes went to white eyes and blonde hair went to black hair. So it’d be super awkward if he doesn’t recognise me/remember me. D:

But on the other hand, if I don’t add him, I’ll likely never see/talk to him again. I mean I suppose that’s no big deal either, but if I had the choice, I’d like to get to know him... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    So EC, was that flirting or just being friendly? And should I add him? I’m leaning towards not adding him just because I think it’s really socially unacceptable. D:

#1 MichaelB, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

He could have been flirting, but, from the sound of it, it seems like one of those cool moments that are just meant to be that, cool moments.

But either way, if you want to message him and see what happens then go for it. Worst case scenario he ignores the add and that's it.

But be careful about adding strangers. There are risks that you should think about before doing so.