1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to tell my sister I was abused but afraid she will shut me down

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tapsilog2012, Nov 1, 2012.

1. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

So my sister found out that me and my ex boyfriend are no longer a couple through his facebook. She emailed me and asked why, and I came out to her. All she said was "congratulations", so ya, I guess she is supportive.

My memories of my dad sexually abusing me when I was 3 or 4 are really haunting me today though. I kind of hinted at it to my brother a couple of months ago (saying "something might have happened") and he basically labeled me "crazy and bipolar" and talked AT me (not to me) for a while. I dont have bipolar! Ive seen psychiatrists and counselors and none think I do!

For some reason I want to try telling my sister though. But Im afraid she will have a similar reaction. If she doesnt believe me, I dont think its worth the pain and drama it will stir up.

Any advice?

2. Bree

It basically comes down to what you can live with: never telling her or being rejected by her?

Do you think she could have had a similar experience with him?

3. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I doubt she had a similar experience. My dad was always particularly harsh on me out of the 3 children (punishing me for the vaguest things, isolating me from my friends, labeling me with all kinds of different mental disorders, none of which I had).

She is also my mom's "favorite", always receiving special gifts, etc, and being treated like she is the better daughter.

She has lived in a different city than me for almost 4 years and I have no way of telling if she is mature enough to believe me or if she will just judge me, because that is what everyone has trained her to do.

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2012 at 04:36 PM ----------

I wrote a draft and deleted it. Probably gonna write my mom a draft and then delete it too. I dont know why Im trying to hide it. For some reason Im afraid people will take me away and lock me up in a mental hospital if I tell, which is absolutely ridiculous.