1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...Career advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vere, Nov 1, 2012.

1. vere

Hello,
    So recently, I have begun to seriously question what it is that I want to do with my life (trust me, I am aware I am not the only person who has this problem!). My plan up until now was to become a teacher. However, while I am genuinely interested in teaching, I do not enjoy what I am studying (I am an English major) and I have become really interested in the prospect of becoming a lawyer in the non-profit sector. Poverty and inequities within the educational system are both topics that interest me and I feel that being a lawyer would give me a chance work with these issues. However, the prospect of law school frightens me; I have done absolutely nothing to prepare for it and I am already a junior. When I have spoken to career services and other professors they have, in so many words, hinted that law school in general is not a recommended route. Plus, I wonder if I would even be able to get into law school considering how little I have done (compared to other students) in terms of internships and extra-curricular activities.
    I honestly just feel very flustered and angry because it seems to me that I have wasted several years of my life being unproductive and unconcerned about my future prospects. I wish I could take a time machine and go back to my first year :-( . Is it too late for me to switch plans? Would it even make sense for me to switch plans? Whenever I ask for advice I get very vague answers that don't help.

2. Jim1454

I really don't know much about this topic.

What I will tell you is that a friend of mine from university went back to school after having worked for a few years and got his law degree. So it doesn't have to be something that you groom yourself for your whole life in order to get in. This person have his BBA and MBA and worked for probably 8 or 10 years in corporate finance before going back to school for law.

Have you asked anyone at the law school? They'd be the best people to tell you what kind of admission requirements you'd have to meet - and what candidates typically have done in advance of applying. Talking to their admissions deparment might clear things up for you.

3. vere

Thanks for your response, Jim :slight_smile:.

No, I haven't spoken to any admissions people at law schools yet but I have looked at different law school websites. It seems that the main requirements are a strong GPA, the LSAT, extra-curriculars, etc.

I was considering teaching for a few years before going to law school...

4. FunnyMonkey

My mom is lawyer and she hate is wishing she never did it. Because she is a lawyer I have meet other lawyers and most of the don't like and the vast majority are divorced.
    If you want to know what law school is like the made a movie about called Paper Chase Mom said that's about right.
    But if you want to become a lawyer don't let anyone tell you not to do it.

What about an aptitude test to gave you some ideas.