1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to tell myself that i have never hidden anything but my sexuality from my friends, but after having spent some times meeting gay people in secret and becoming friends with them i now realize that i act like a different person. I really envy my gay friends because many of them are already out and proud. While i live my life in constant hiding from many of my friends and i am really getting tired of it. I don't see my friends much anymore since i started going to college, so could probably just come out at my college but unfortunitally for me every class i have i also share with someone who still goes to my highschool part time so by being out in any of those classes i run the risk of one of them leaking my little secret back to the highschool and have all of my friends find out. Right now i feel like i am drifting away from my friends and i am not sure if i should just come out and risk losing my friends back at my highschool who i already feel like i am losing or if i should just stay in the closet. I know that staying in the closet isn't going to really do me any good but i just can't bring myself to come out and i really don't know what to do.

2. KatoKumi

I think if you're emotionally ready for it, do it. But if you're not even ready to judge your sexuality yourself, for what it is, then you will seriously not be ready for the world to judge your sexuality for what it is.

Good luck; I hope you're happy whatever you decide<3

3. TyraBanksIsFierce

Do it.

Theyre not your real friends if they reject you

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Are you drifting away from your friends because of "the secret", or do you think you'd be drifting apart anyway whether or not you were hiding this from them?

I am just questioning whether it is worth bothering to tell them. If you think it will bring you closer again and this secret is part of the reason for the distance then TELL THEM! Who cares if it gets back to school if you aren't there any more. But if the drifting apart would happen anyway then it may not be worth the bother.

I think you need to make your gay friends and lifestyle less secret. This seems to be where your real life and future friends are, so make the most of it.

5. step49x

I've got a similar situation (though not as bad). There's a ton of people from my church, at my college. I don't have any classes with them, but I wouldn't mind them not knowing.

How much do you care if these people from high school know? To me, it sounds like a lot. One thing I've wondered about is, why? Are you afraid they're going to go and tell everyone from high school? How big of a deal is that for you? Myself, I was never great friends with anyone from high school, so I could care less if they find out.

Have you come out to any/many of your college friends? When you come out at college, you don't have to tell everyone. You can if you want, but it isn't a necessity. You could start with your close friends, and slowly branch out.

Not sure how much that helps, but it's some thoughts I had on this. Best of luck to you with this whole situation!