1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online - Ask out, etc..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confuscious, Nov 2, 2012.

1. confuscious

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So i'm newly finding myself - and found a guy online who i am really attracted to. Never felt this way around a guy - and this is the only guy i believe that will be this great for me.
    Honestly.

I don't want to move too fast, or screw this up - but how do you move into this?
    How long do i wait talking before i ask to meet up in person (without being a creep)?
    and what do i ask, etc?
    Then what do i do when we meet?

im not the type to act gay/feminine (don't think he is either)

2. ohioguy05

Ok, here is my opinion, and only that.
    I just went through the same thing earlier today. I was talking to the greatest guy online and we were really hitting it off. I had no idea how to take the next step...
    I got his number and I moved from there. Talking on a dating site is nice and all, but slow and awkward. Talking on the phone or by text is a lot better. After that was done and we had talked for over an hour, he ended up asking me out himself, which was even better.
    This is what worked for me. I hope things work out for you!

3. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I start by saying by experience to not expect to much, if you expect too much before you even meet him in person, you are most likely to end up getting hurt, and I say this to warn you not to let you down :S
    The pros of meeting someone online is that you can actually 'discover' someone's behavour without meeting them, if you don't like it, that's it, if you like it, you meet the person. The cons of meeting someone online is that you NEVER can be 100% whether someone is saying the truth or not, whether someone is just pretending to be nice and friendly or not. This is my personal experience in the matter, I hope it will be helpful to you :slight_smile: x

(Please, don't define acting feminine and acting gay equally, that's such a terrible stereotype that gay people have to stop using first if we really want straight people to stop using it! There's not such way of acting "gay", a gay act gay when they are being themselves, in any possible way, feminine is a way of being gay, masculine is a way of being gay, and so on, and so on... Alright? :\ )

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good advice so far. Talking on phone or over text (or, even better, a little of both!) is a good idea before meeting up. And when you meet, do so in a public place... coffee shop is a good choice... where there will be others around. Don't go to his house or have him to yours on a first meeting, until you have a chance to get to know one another.

Also, I'll reiterate one other thing: Just be yourself. Gay people are all over the map from burly and hyper-masculine to uber-femme, so just be who you are; don't try to be anyone else. Authenticity is really important both to a healthy relationship, and to your own self-esteem :slight_smile:

5. confuscious

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

#5 confuscious, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012