1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dad Thinks I Could Be Lesbian (When I'm Not?)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Takashi, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Takashi

Takashi Guest

I'm bisexual with a moderately masculine flair. I never told any of my family about my orientation for obvious reasons. Basically, my dad thinks that just because I have tomboyish styles and that I don't like femme clothes makes me a lesbian. He never said this to my face. My mom told me about it. The thing it sounds like he says it like if it were a bad thing if I were 100% gay. I don't know if he's homophobic or not, but he talks about gays in a bit of an awkward light. I also think it's stereotyping. Not all lesbians are masculine like I am. What about lipstick lesbians? That's not a fair statement.

Last night I wore jeans and a sweater out to go to work and he made a really rude comment. He was all like You finally look like a girl. I didn't know how the hell to respond to that. I just glared in disgust. Should I just ignore him?

2. MagicMadman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When he makes a stupid comment just say ''Well dad Im Bi and if you dont like it you know what to do!" That makes it VERY awkward for him and in the end he will come to terms with it

- This is coming from a straight boy - Take it lightly.

3. Yuliya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe, You should tolk to him? and ask him why he so afraid?

4. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I don't think you should ignore your dad's comments. Some people make comments about things without realizing how deeply it may hurt another person. I would tell him how the comments make you feel and tell him it's a stereotype about all lesbians dressing like tomboys. I would just ask him to keep the comments he makes to himself. Hopefully he will get the message and stop saying those things.

5. Delta

This is not a good idea. Never come out in anger. It only makes them doubt your sincerity and think you're being queer to hurt them. Come out because you want to share who you really are with them.

As for his behavior, start by telling him that it's not okay to assume a person's sexuality because of the way they look or act. Tell him that everyone is different, and they have a right to be comfortable being themselves, and that his behavior could cause a lot of hurt and discomfort to people around him if he doesn't change it. This puts more of a focus on his behavior being unacceptable to everyone, and less of it being about your sexuality personally.

Also tell him that it makes you unhappy when he treats you like you're any less of a woman because of the way you dress. If you want to come out at this point, feel free, but do it in a sharing way rather than a "ha! serves you right." way. Hope I could help. :slight_smile:

6. FollowtheFreeman

He may not realize that he is coming off as homophobic. A lot of men are impartial to anything homoerotic, but that doesn't mean that they don't accept it. They just don't know how to act properly.

If you want to than talk to him. You'll never know exactly how he feels until you tell him.