1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Toaddy, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Toaddy

I have known i like girls for a long time, but just now started taking it seriously. I told a few people and they were happy for me. They told me there was nothing wrong with it and that i should be proud i found myself. But when i brought it up with one of my family members, she told me that i couldn't be a lesbian. She literally insisted that i did not like the same sex. I have my brothers and sisters support along with a few friends, but how do i break it to the rest of my family? What do i do if they disown me?

2. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that! Well, it's your family we are talking about, and here nobody knows it better than you do, I believe that if you show them that you are stronger than them (not physically) they won't be able to say anything but "We are proud of you". But still, I don't know your family. Since, I worry a lot when I read these things, and you talk about disowning you, you live in USA right? There are so many organisation that are always up to help LGBT youth, to name one "The Trevor Project" (which classify itself it preventing suicide but I think they wouldn't refuse to help you if you need to talk to someone in person about it). I hope it helps :\ and with you the best of luck, I really do. Be strong <3 x

3. Toaddy

My therapist is actually looking into some things for me, out of everyone she's been the most helpful. But i live with my aunt, and she was raised as a strict christian so she thinks i have no right to love who i want. Even if i found someone to talk to that gave me the strength to come out i doubt she would accept it.

4. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then, sorry to say this, but your aunt doesn't deserve your love and she certainly doesn't have the power to make you feel bad about yourself, you do. You do by letting her. I'm sorry if I have to put it this way but by what you said, this is a fact. Don't let her get to you and who you are. Love who you love. The sooner you realise that you can't help to be who you are, the better it is for your own sake darling :\ I'm glad to hear that you have someone to talk to, I really am! :wink: x

5. Toaddy

Thanks for saying that. :slight_smile: My sister is a lesbian too, our family doesn't like her much. She never had anyone to talk to, yet somehow she survived and came out publicly. Now she's engaged to her girlfriend of six years. I just wish she was still here to help me through.

6. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have a lesbian sister? Well, that's even better then! Does she know about you? x

7. Toaddy

She's suspected before i told anyone. I told her i had a crush on one of my girl classmates and she practically hugged me to death.

8. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there you go then. Rely on her, I bet she would do ANYTHING.... ANYTHING for you :wink: x

9. Toaddy

:slight_smile: That's what I'm hoping.Thanks for the advice.

10. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem, I hope it goes alright :wink: <3 x

11. shaunnaj84

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had the same worry with my dad when I was coming out... I have been shoved into church my entire life... and despite that my step mom's sister is a lesbian.. I still knew he wouldn't approve of my lifestyle.. and I was right to some degree... when I first told him... he yelled at me and we argued forever... about God and the Bible and everything... we went months without talking... but eventually he came around.. he saw how much happier I was, how much better my life was turning out to be and more importantly, he saw that my girlfriend really truly loved and cared about me... more than any dumb guy I had ever been with... and I think all that.. made him realize that in the end his views are different from my own and while he doesn't agree with my choices he still LOVES me and wants me to be happy...

and so... I believe that if your family truly loves you and your sister for that matter, they will come around.. it might take them a while but they will.. at least you have your siblings for support and if its any help.. you can write me on here anytime as well :slight_smile: I would be glad to gain a friend and lend an ear whenever I can!

Hope this helps you out and whatever you do, don't let your family sway your thoughts about who you are or how you feel.. be yourself no matter what... you will be much happier and comfortable in the end... honestly I wish I had someone to give me that advice when I was a teen.. probably would have come out a lot sooner :slight_smile: