1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do at a lgbt center?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by snowflurry, Nov 3, 2012.

1. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys,
    So I was just wondering what your experiences at "your local lgbt center" (the phrase that I keep hearing a lot) were like. More specifically, people who are younger (I guess 17 and below? High school age?). I did go once to the one closest to me, but didn't really get an orientation tour type thing or anything...and then was too scared to go back. I really do want to give it another chance though, but am not really sure what to expect.
    So what kinds of things go on in "the center"? Any info at all would be helpful.
    Thanks!

2. Alan Lewrie

I too, would also like to know this. As I've never been but my interest is piqued.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too. I'd like to go to something like that someday in my area... and I just got out of highschool.

4. teluphone

I'm also curious myself

5. FashionDisaster

I know I'm a bit out of your preferred age range for this question, but I recently started going to my college's LGBT center and club. We have played a few bonding games; like group charades. We also talked about issues with the coming elections. People have asked for volunteers for events they were planning. Friday night there was a ghost hunt across campus and we watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Mainly its just been refreshing being in a room made up almost entirely of LGBT people. Even if not many people are talking, its honestly nice to be somewhere where I'm not always being bombarded with the number of things people do that announce they are straight every day. Also I don't have to worry about how people will react or think of me for doing or saying something that shows I'm gay. Its amazing how nice it is to be somewhere where I can be completely unafraid to be myself and still be accepted.

6. CTJ

CTJ

You guys are so lucky in the states to even have access to LGBT centres, i've searched high and low for some in my area but the closest is in London. Its simply not possible to be nipping to the capital for a quick meeting for me, so i'm stuck without a genuine way of meeting guys.

7. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks FashionDisaster! Yeah, that's pretty much the reason I was interested- just being in a place where everyone around you is kind of like you. Sounds nice.

8. Epipleptic

There are a lot things that go on at LGBT Centers. Basically, there a safe, welcoming place for LGBT people and everything FashionDisaster said. They provide a meeting space various clubs, social groups and support groups. Off the top of my head I know the center near me has parenting and adoption groups, cancer groups, HIV/AIDS groups, Trans groups, senior citizen groups, geek trivia nights, some kind of speed dating, a 20 somethings social club, a biker group, a writers group, a chorus, and a nudist/naturalist club. I know it also hosts art exhibits, concerts, and lectures. For someone in your age range, you might want to call your local center about youth groups, I checked my center's website and it doesn't make youth group information public.