1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I choose? :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Torii, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Torii

I just found out that my parents are getting a divorce and I'm actually kinda ok with that but my dad told me that it's my descison (<- can't spell -_-) about whether or not I will live with him or my mom. (it's not until next summer but still :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) He's going to be living in Arizonia and my mom (and me currently) are living in Oklahoma, so I just have one question
    How do I choose? :frowning2:

Any advice for this would really help me guys, so thank you

2. kingdominth4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Kinda messed up that they put all the pressure on you and how can they expect you to chose between your mother and your father. This seems entirely to fast, but if you have a problem with any of this you need to sit them both down and tell them how you feel. Sometimes in a big change one can forget everyone who is involved and it is easy overlook the needs of everyone involved.

3. putresVigil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would detach from the emotional aspect and focus on what is right for you down the road. Like where do you want to go in your life? What do you want to do with it? And which area has the better schools for what it is you want to do? That is one example. Easier said than done, I know from experience. I have been a pawn many times to others whims like that and my heart goes out for you. I always dealt with it by trying to weight pros and cons and determine the least regrettable course. I wish there was an easy answer and I don't want to sound flippant - I am not. Good luck.

4. Torii

thanks guys, and really it's a decision about where I would be spending the school year and then I would spend the summer at the other parents house and so I've also been thinking about what you said putresVigil and I really don't know what the schools (or anything else) is like down there so I'm going to be spending the time I have researching that and asking my dad lots of questions because I really think that I'm going to end up going with my dad, if only to get the experience of going somewhere new.
    Once again thanks ^-^

5. CTJ

CTJ

My parents divorced when i was 15 and i was over the moon. That sounds harsh but i was happy that they were going to split up and have a chance at happiness rather than stay together and be miserable. I was also offered the choice of who to go with and i made the decision based not on who i loved more, but on my life at the time. My dad moved away and mum stayed in my hometown, so i stayed with mum so i could still see all my friends and not have to start again.

This might not be the choice for you, but it worked out for me...until mum kicked me out anyway and i had to move away lol