1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I know whether my attraction toward men is Real?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Very Confused, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Very Confused

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have Ben incredibly confused (as have, I notice, many other members) over the past year as to my attraction toward men, I am definitely attracted to women, but I have (and are currently) been attracted to men. I have never felt an attraction towards a male celebrity but I have towards a female one. I do however have thoughts towards two or three of my male school friends, is this because I feel Phileo love (brotherly love) or do I feel Eros love (sexual love), I am close to them daily at school and have never thought about having sex with any of them but I have thought about being in a relationship with them, I am currently in a relationship (with a woman) which I adore greatly, but I feel that it won't last. Am I bi-sexual but leaning towards the hetro side or leaning towards the homo Sid, or am I in the middle.

2. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lemme start by saying that your signature "Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright, it's not the end" it's brilliant.

Said so, if you have feelings towards a man then it may or may not imply that you are either Bi or Gay. Some of my straight friends adore me, clearly have feelings for me, same feelings I have for my girl-friends, that doesn't make them gay nor me straight. However, it is completely up to you to understand whether your feelings for them are in a sexual way or not, do you know what I mean? It's completely up to you and your heart.
    If when you are around them you just have the feeling that you want to touch them (and this doesn't have to be in terms of sex), as in that you feel "warm" inside when you are close to them, you want to kiss them, share something with them other than interests, than yes, you are Bi/Gay. If you have those same feelings for the women, you are obviously Bi. I know it might sound obvious, but it's not sometimes :\
    May I ask you if you have any openly gay friends? If yes, and they are close to you, talk to them about this, I'm sure they might help in some way to help you understand whether you feel something when you are close to a guy (now sexually speaking). Please, let me know if what I said it's not completely clear :slight_smile: x

3. TheSeeker

Ok... So good question, and with no easy answer. The thing about orientation is that it is a sliding scale and also evolves throughout your lifetime. The Kinsey Scale, which I am sure you have read about cruising EC, is a good tool but is by no means a catch-all. For instance, I am a solid Kinsey-3, I am bisexual (sexually attracted to both genders) but also panromantic (meaning I am emotionally attracted to both as well). It sounds like you are panromantic at the very least, but bisexually I am not sure. Male Bisexuality hasn't been studied all that much, but it certainly exists (I exist). Since Male Sexuality in general tends to be polarized, the male bisexual brain tends to alternate between the two poles in an oscillation that can be a short as a few hours or as long as a few months.

The clarifying question I have for you, however is whether or not you are physically aroused by men? Regardless as to whether or not you think about sex with them or not (how old are you anyway, there's no age listed?), do you imagine yourself kissing them, cuddling them, or being physically close? It took a great deal of self-acceptance before I could think about homosexual sex as anything other than negative, but now it seems pretty exciting... Think hard about who you are and what you want and you will find the truth.

Please keep us posted,

-The Seeker

4. Very Confused

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks to both of you. I am 13 years old and yes I have heard of the Kinsey scale, I have though about sexual relationships with men little, but still contemplate my standpoint, I believe if I was in a relationship with a man then I would probably engage in sexual activity, I think I am almost certainly, what you described as panromantic. Thank You TheSeeker.

Also I thank nwonderlad as I have one friend who is gay, openly to his family and close friends, I do not see him often and we have never been involved as he is 4 years above me and we go to separate schools, but I will definitely talk to him about it.

Thanks again, please talk to me about any more advice.

5. TheSeeker

Hey, no offense, but you did sound young. This doesn't affect anything really except that the hellish rollercoaster of puberty has just started for you and you have a good 7 years or so before those hormones tire out a bit.

This is not to say that I don't believe you can sense your orientation at this point, obviously if it bothers you enough for you to find EC then it must weigh pretty heavy on your mind. I had my first feelings toward guys at around 13 and it confused the hell out of me. But I was also very Christian at the time and thought that my being anything but straight would be a major, major problem (It's not).

I guess what I am saying is, you have a lot of time to determine who you are sexually/romantically and don't worry too much about labels. If you are Bi you can fall in love on a person by person basis. Could be a guy, or a girl! Let it happen, be open, be unafraid, and enjoy your life. I wish you luck!

6. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that he is 4 years older it makes it a lot better, he is just 17 so not many experiences in such area I think but I think it's better than nothing as a start point :wink:
    Well, if you feel like you need to talk about anything without having to discuss it with someone you know face-to-face, feel free to leave a message in my profile :slight_smile: x

7. Lewis

Well I never really questioned whether my attraction was real, it was just there. I just knew that whatever my orientation was, I was attracted to guys (a lot more than I was attracted to girls).

Do you look at an attractive guy and get the same feelings you get for girls? A little blunt, but do you feel yourself getting aroused? There's just that feeling you get when you find someone attractive. If you get it, it's real.

8. Very Confused

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No offence taken, I understand you're advice entirely, I know that it's far to early to understand for sure, so thanks.