1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it uncommon for people to come out in their early teens

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fluffy Bunny, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Fluffy Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok I have been thinking of coming out and i was wondering if there was anyone else that came out when they were like 13 or 14. I see a lot of people in their late teens and early adults coming out but, i don't see a lot if any people coming out in my age group.

2. Jameson

Well, firstly, the title says "Is it uncommon for people to come in early teens", which gave me another impression when I read it, so I would revise it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Anyways, is your family accepting and open-minded; like, would they accept you if you came out? If not, think about coming out first, and perhaps hold it off until you get older and you might be able to handle whatever they might have to say to you. Have discussions with them from time to time to see how they feel about LGBTs.

So, yeah, think about what your family is like and perhaps contemplate a bit before totally coming out.

3. jvn95

I really don't see very many early teens on here, you do make a point.

Be happy you're getting this over with earlier though! I would loved to come out to myself earlier, I would have been happier in earlier puberty. :slight_smile:

4. Lewis

I wish I was able to at 13, I'd have lived my life the way I wanted to from the start. But on the flip-side, maybe I would have met the friends I have now and change their views on gay people. Would they have talked to me knowing that I was gay? Maybe not. Do they still talk to me after telling them that I'm gay? They treat me exactly the same.

If you're ready, go for it. Just don't make being gay your whole life, don't feel the need to tell anybody that it doesn't concern.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There have been a fair number of people 13 or 14 here on EC, and some of them are totally out, some not.

I would suggest that if you're comfortable with yourself, and as long as your parents aren't crazy fundamentalist types, then it will benefit you to come out earlier rather than later. You'll be able to go through more of the normal things teens go through... dating, etc... rather than missing that experience as so many do when they come out older.

Keep in mind some people will give you shit about it in school and other places, but if you hold your head up, and own it, then it's much harder for anyone to hassle you about it.

6. Delta

I came out several times. :slight_smile: Once when I was 7 to a neighbor boy, about a crush on a neighbor girl. Once when I was 10 to my parents, before I realized the full implications of what I was saying. And then again again when I was 13 and knew exactly what I was saying.

They didn't believe me. XD But oh, they believe me now... Yes, they believe me now... Mainly because whenever I get a visit with my long distance girlfriend, I ask for 4 hours alone in the hotel room so we can "talk". And even with four hours, there's generally an "oh crap, they're waiting outside and I can't find my shirt" moment.

But that's completely beside the point. And yes, I came out early. Even so, I find it a little dubious when people do that, as it's hard to be sure of who you are until you've had a bit more experience. But if you're like I was, and you're sure and you know you're sure, and you want other people to know, that's great!

7. HatterMad

Do I carry a sign that says "I am gay"?

I don't really come out.
    I'm just gay. And everyone has always known that.

It's the little things though....
    Like when they talk about cute girls and I'm not interested.
    Oh yeah, and the entire 11-20 pop in this town knows I used to give all the boys bjs. I guess that's a coming out of a sort, huh?

There's several of us here, btw. I jest turned 14.

8. GayJay

I think when people come out younger people tend not to take to take them seriously. I didn't tell anyone i had i girlfriend until i was 15, or told anyone i was trans until 16. Because i wanted to wait till everyone got that little bit older and more mature. The people in my school who came out on year 8/9 got picked on by the kids on our year, where as waiting until year 10/11 people accepted them being LGBT was normal. Well not so much with trans but the people who came out as gay were not treated any different.

9. castle walls

I think it is a it uncommon but I came out to my best friend when I was 14 and my immediate family when I was 15. If you know, then you know. However, you should only come out if it is safe for you to do so

10. Toaddy

I knew i liked girls when i was eight. The second i found out what sex was, (which. sadly, was very early) I knew that men were just not what i wanted. Age doesn't matter really, it all depends on how well you know yourself. So, yeah maybe a 13 or 14 year old is a little naive, but if you really know your heart then come out when you're comfortable with your sexuality.