1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, that was....awkward

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mykayla, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I'm sitting in the living room, minding my own business and cuddling my puppy, when my mom comes home, sits down, and turns on a show that 'she was watching earlier' (complete lie since it was the beginning of it). And can you guess the subject matter? Transgender people. So, I just looked up, saw she was looking in my eyes while watching and gave her some BS excuse about having to go upstairs to do science homework (I feel awkward sitting there during documentaries on transgender people). I'm not sure if this means she knows or if she's just curious or if she might be suspicious and in the 5 minutes since then it's been running around my mind. Was the fact that I excused myself basically the equivalent of coming out? Does she actually know? Is this her way of telling me she knows? Or is she just interested in the subject matter? I know nobody but her can answer those questions, so my question to you is, what would you do if this happened to you/what did you do when this happened to you?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if it happened to me I would probably do exactly as you did, but looking at it from an outside perspective I think it is her way of saying she suspects but its ok. However you are right only she can say for sure.

3. rx79g

It sound to me like she knows or suspects. On the bright side even if she doesn't I think that's a pretty good indicator that she is accepting. If she had a problem with transgender people she wouldn't voluntarily watch something about it. Unless it was hate spewing. But it doesn't sound like it was.

4. AlexisAnne

That's a tough one. My instinct says that she doesn't necessarily "KNOW" but the fact that she turned it on, and was looking into your eyes while watching makes me think that she suspects, and that was her way of broaching the matter with you. As far as whether you gave yourself up when you left the room, it's hard to say. She won't "KNOW" for sure until you say something, but it's possible that it pushed her into leaning more in that directions if that's where she was already. I know it's an awkward subject and extremely difficult to bring up (Trust me, I know :slight_smile: ) but you might just try asking her about what she claims to have been watching, and why.

If it were me, I would probably try and approach her about it in a sort of off the cuff manner, kind of in the same way that she was probably trying to bring the subject to light without actually bringing it up herself, if that makes sense. One more thing: If she does suspect, and she's trying to bring it up, I actually think that's a positive sign. To me, if this was the motivation behind turning the show on, it seems like she wants to talk about it, but doesn't know how to start such a conversation. If that's accurate, then the fact that she wants to talk about it, is probably a good sign.

Those are my thoughts on the matter, and I could be completely wrong.

5. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for all of your thoughts. I personally think she made an awful choice in timing though, as my brother is sitting in the room over playing his XBox, if she wanted to talk about it. Thanks again for each of your thoughts.