1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Y'all are great but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by piratealisonnn, Nov 4, 2012.

1. piratealisonnn

I love how understanding and accepting everyone on this site is. But sometimes I just want to ask one of my gay friends what their coming out story is and how they felt when they were questioning, ya know? I think it might make this a bit easier on me but I'm too afraid to ask any of them.

Anyone agree? Anyone else feel this way?

2. Catkin

I know what you mean. No matter how great EC is, communication over the Internet always seems a bit disconnected from reality. I think I'd pay more attention to advice from real life gay friends, simply because I know them better and they know me. I have quite a lot of gay friends, there are so many things I would like to ask them. Can't seem to get the words out though.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, we're an internet community, so we can't give you that real, personal feeling of talking to another queer person. I am always slightly more fulfilled by having real conversations like that; it comes with the territory. So no slight taken.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a lot easier to come out to people you don't know and harder coming out to people you do know. I think it will be a great idea to ask one of your friend's about their coming out process. You don't necessarily have to tell them how you feel. I'm gay and my friend is bisexual and she's helped me a lot; we kinda helped each other. No one will understand you better than someone who has gone through the process of accepting themselves. I know you're afraid, but there's nothing to be afraid of. I'm sure your friend will be very helpful :slight_smile:

#4 pinklov3ly, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  5. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I understand the feeling. My advice would just be to find that person you can confide in and just take the leap of faith. It's scary when you do it but you would be surprised how much better it is when you have real people to talk to

6. Priiiide

What I like about EC is the variety of people and their experiences and stories. You cannot find that variety in a friend circle. So sometimes friends may not understand your experiences whereas on EC there is usually someone who has been there and done that.

7. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I'm a member of my school's GSA (we call it Spectrum- it sounds more inclusive that way) and we've had discussions about things like this a couple of times. You feel kind of awkward and prying at first but after you see others open up its easier for you to do the same and it gets easier.:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 4th Nov 2012 at 06:55 PM ----------

EC is amazing, too, but in my area that's what I do in person.

8. Robin

There's a girl who found out that I was gay recently and just can't stop asking me about it. It's pretty nice to talk to someone about things; at least for me. Other people might feel the same if you ask them.