1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Islam and Transgenderism

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DJNay, Nov 5, 2012.

1. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    Ok so Ive been a Muslim for about a year now and Im just starting to come out as Transgender now. I have a delimma though, I was talking to my ex last night and she was telling me that Islam and Transgender dont mix. Im in a bit of a tail spin now because Im really into it and dont know what to do. Ive searched the web and found different views on whether it is wrong or right:

"Transgender in Islam ins haram ( prohibited )...When a women is pregnant in her 3rd month of pregnancy an angel goes into women womb and make features of baby and ask Allah then whether this will be a boy or a girl then Allah decides and tell him about the gender of the baby and so he make this baby a boy or a girl..Allah's decision are final and there is no chance of mistake in it."
    And in the Qua'ran it talks about male and female devils and how Shaytan (satan) will order them to change the nature created by Allah. Adding that "May Allah curse whoever does this."

But then Ive found a view saying that as long as you are "straight" once you have transitioned its not a problem because Islam is against homosexuality, which is differnt to being transgendered.

I honestly dont know, and could use some advice please.

2. Amicus

Hello DJNay,

I should preface this by saying that I'm not a Muslim myself (or even religious). But even a non-Muslim like me can see that the first point you quoted is patently ridiculous. If Allah is an all-powerful god, what would he need with an angel going in and giving features to the baby during the third month of pregnancy? Why would he need to outsource the act of creation? And we could easily say that your "nature" is precisely that...being trans!

Do you practice Sunni, Shi'a, or something else? I know that being transgender is not a problem within Shi'a Islam; I've always found it interesting that Ayatollah Khomeini was more progressive on trans concerns than many people in the west. It is true that a significant number of people in Iran who have sexual reassignment surgery are actually homosexuals changing their genders so that they can pursue their attractions, but there are definitely a number of genuinely trans people as well who do it with no religious scruple.

But say you're not Shi'a or don't want to accept this just based on Khomeini's fatwa. Search through yourself and think about all the other trans people in the world: do you think this is a result of all of you just not thinking properly, or do you think these are very natural feelings? If the will of Allah is always fulfilled, do you think you're somehow the exception?

The thing that stuck out for me the most when I read the Qu'ran is the emphasis on Allah's mercy towards believers and his wrath towards the unbelievers. That point is repeated and repeated ad nauseam throughout the suras. Maybe being trans is sinful within Islam. Maybe it's not. But at the end of the day, what the Qu'ran says matters is believing in Allah and following his prophet. I'm willing to bet it doesn't matter what gender you identify as or what clothes you wear as you do this, and even if it does, it seems like the truly damning crime within Islam is not believing. I don't think you have that problem :slight_smile:

3. Myra48

hi, im not muslim but i am, or was raised christian. the bible does not address transgender people at all, but it is very clear on homosexuality. ive been depressed about this and ive come to the conclusion that i cant be a christian and be transgender. i still believe in a creator and a god, but just not what the bible says. youve been muslim for a year? i agree that the best thing to do is find another more accepting religion. its really hard because i grew up in the church but i think this is the best for me.
    good luck :slight_smile:

4. NightOfPower

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I really don't agree with what these guys are saying. I'm a Muslim myself and I identified as transgender for a really long time but I've decided not to transition because of the fact that it may be a sin. To be honest it's where your priorities lie; if you're willing to give up your faith to transition it's up to you, but I'm telling you if you're serious about your faith (you seem like you are) then you'll be able to sacrifice. It's your own personal jihad, and yes it's a struggle, but the Akhirah is worth it. Like I said, it's up to you.

5. mothcaterpillar

I'm not at all religious so i don't know about religious views
    the sex is already decided when the sperm meets the egg the only likeness to actual fetal development is that the male reproductive system is usually visable by the 3rd month
    and like Amicus says If Allah is an all-powerful god, what would he need with an angel going in and giving features to the baby during the third month of pregnancy?

rligion just doesn't make sence it's so contradictive why can't people just be happy with what's physically on earth