1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did others come to terms with loving being gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nick79, Aug 29, 2006.

1. nick79

I was gonna come out to my friends last November - I started 2 weeks ago.

It was awkward, but okay.

I'm at the stage where I'm ok with being gay "in theory", but I'm still not 100% cool with being "different".

How did others come to terms with loving being gay?

2. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I dunno, I guess what I did was look at all the really fun things about being gay. Here's a few of my favorite:

1) You have amazing dress sense so, not only do you always look good, you get to make others look good and then have them be all impressed.

2) For me, being a white middle-upper class male doesn't give me much anything to be proud of diversity-wise, but being gay adds a whole new element of diversity to your life and you have a cause to support.

3) You get to make friends with more fun and interesting people because a lot of them are drawn to you because of you being gay.

4) As much as I hate to admit it and as much as it doesn't make sense, it's kinda fun to be oppressed and having to lie a lot, because then you can pretend (in your mind) that you're a fugitive and a victim of the establishment, which is really kind of fun...for me...maybe I'm just crazy...

5) You get to have really close friends of the opposite gender who trust you with almost anything, and thus get to see into the minds of that gender, which can be really interesting.

6) Canada becomes even more awesome.

7) You get to push forward the rights of a minority by putting a human face on the LGBTQA community for your friends and family, and thus are doing a public service by just being who you are.

3. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I turned 20 years old, I had looked back at all the things I did when I was younger, trying to look for the signs. When I had came to terms with it, I just had to accept myself, it might of taken 20 years to find out I was gay, but then for me it only took a couple of months to love and accept myself for who I was.

4. tired_of_lying411

Im almost 16 now and have accepted and loved my being gay even since I was 12.5

I guess I probably was in denial for my whole life up to then. Firstly from not knowing there was such a thing, next from not thinking it could be ME, and then because I was being shown by the world (classmates, media, etc) that it SHOULDNT be me.

I was naiive, I played with barbies my whole childhood, never saw the excitement in trucks, they didnt have hair or clothes :grin:

But yeah, at when I was 12, I started becoming... lets say, sexually aware, boys will be boys... I soon realized that guys were giving me a rise as much as girls were. Soon after that, I realized that I was only attracted to women because it was all new and lets face it, up until that point, anything remotely sexual is pretty much a turn on.

Another thing was that I didnt fantasize of having a relationship with a woman, but did with men.

This female attraction quickly fell away, leaving me only liking guys within the first month of my sexual awakening. I went into strict denial. I even told myself that I probably like to look at guys when im... with myself... but will love girls, marry a woman and have sex with women...

But before I was even 5 months into all this, I cut the crap and realized I was gay. It wasnt hard for me, I just knew I was gay, knew it wasnt anyones fault, it was jut who I was.

So in all of 6 months, I became aware of all things sexual and came to the realization that I was gay, and loved myself for it.

5. PREP_x_C0RE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Coming out made me SO much more popular in my school. Girls are like drawn to gay guys for some reason. And it gets fun because you can connect with them in a personal way because to them you're a guy who "understands" them which means they tell you EVERYTHING. What I'm saying is that girls can feel closer to you which makes them your best friends. And best friends+me=happiness. I don't know I just love the fact that I can finally be myself after so many years of pretending. And you can finally just go to your friend and me like "OMG did you see him he's SO HOT!"

Oh, it's also fun when straight guys come to you for advice on girls and clothes. :lol:

6. nisomer

its very true. when a girl finds you are gay, she automatically CLINGS!