1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay -Straight Alliance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hidden Angel, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I really like the idea of starting a Gay - Straight Alliance group at my school but am not too sure how to go about doing this. Any ideas?
    Also I'm not too sure about how to get people to join because homophobia is defiantly alive and kicking within my school so advertising around the school would not go down too well. Any help on this would be appreciated.

2. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I've already filed the paper work to create the GSA for my school next year. I'm not sure what legal protection you have in New Zealand though, they might be able to tell you know if too many people dislike the idea.

4. Brett

I looked at the websight, but it only talks a bout GSA's in California. Are there networks of them in other states?

5. Wolfbane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I actually helped start one in Chicago, IL. First thing first, you need to have a teacher or other adult that can come in and supervise/sponsor the club/organization. Also, it wont take effect immediately, but the year afterwards. To advertise, posters and word of mouth works wonders...but you mentioned homophobia and bullying from homosexuality...when we had our first meeting, we had 2 teachers stand guard by teh door....just in case....might work for you. Either way, hope that helps just a smidgen.