1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To come out or not to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wonderingdave01, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Who do you agree with side A or side B? (read description)

1. Side A

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Side B

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Okay, so far, I've been getting two different vibes from everyone about sexuality.

Side A says I should come out to everyone and not care about what anyone says or thinks.

Side B says I should come out to certain people who would accept me and not to the homophobes and that "nobody that I don't want to know has to know", so I don't have to handle rejection.

The problem with side A is my fear of rejection, and how I'm going to handle people not wanting to me my "friend" anymore.

The problem with side B is that if these people won't accept me, shouldn't I just get rid of them anyway, instead of befriending people and constantly having to hide a part of me that they will never accept?

Who should I listen to?

#1 wonderingdave01, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  2. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's easy to say things like "I should get rid of these people because they aren't real friends anyway" but when it comes down to it, I have friends who are homophobes who I genuinely like. I just don't bother telling them that I'm gay, and I figure that if they find out and don't want to deal with me anymore then that's their loss. I'm not going to tell them myself though, because I just don't want to deal with the drama.

3. Yeah, I guess I have it easier because to me that's not really the case. Very few people I know are homophobes, and the ones that are, I barely care for.

Oh, okay, thanks.

4. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a personal choice which way you go, or if you go there at all. I personally told people I trust first and now I'm sort of just open. Good luck love. <3

5. Night Rain

Perhaps if they are real close to you, they will change their minds when they find you you're gay? That's something to hope for. :lol:
    Anyway, it's true what you said. With side A, you could make a lot of enemies. You can't just simply get rid of them. They will be around you and you can't do anything about it. Also, it could potentially affect your future, your career and job (who knows how many homophobes are out there? your boss could be one). So you should consider whom to come out to.

6. dreamcatcher

I don't think it's as easy as choosing option A or B. In some instances A works better and in others maybe B works better. I think when it comes to coming out, you should come out enough that it feels comfortable. And that can mean anything to you. Some people have to tell everyone they know in order to feel satisfied and happy while others are ok only telling their family and close friends but not people from work. If you feel like being closeted from your friends is negatively affecting your relationship with them, then I say come out anyways. But if you are happy with your relationship with them as it is, then you don't necessarily have to tell them. But, it's all your personal choice. Do what you think is right. Whatever it is, EC will be here to support you :slight_smile:

7. TheTeeJaii

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends on who the most important people to you are. If you are going to suffer by losing important people by coming out, It wouldnt be worth it. If your friends and family will accept you, then you should come out, those who dont like it arent important. If you are going to lose a friendship with people, or even your family, perhaps wait until you either
    a) Are with people will accept you
    b) find a partner with whom you can have to help you come out, and support you.

hope that helps =D