1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as gay and an atheist.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Quartz, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I come from a very conservative Catholic family who is very anti-gay and think that atheists are pretty much Satan incarnate. So I face a double challenge: I need to tell my family that not only am I gay (which will cause them enough distress by itself) but I'm also an atheist. I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Should I tell them both at once? Should I split it up and tell them a few days, months, weeks, or years apart? Has anyone else been in this situation?

I'm 21 and am financially independent of them, so if they cut me off it won't send me out on the streets or anything like that. I also only see them a couple times a year, and am only home usually once a year (Christmas/New Year). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Night Rain

I don't think you can split it up. I mean, it's big news, they wouldn't wait till you tell the other, the news will spread itself... So I think you should come out to both of them at the same time, hopefully knowing someone so close to them who is gay and atheistic, they will change their minds.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not much advice here but just to let you know I'm in a similiar position. I'm bi and I no longer believe in the Christian God. I told my parents I'm bi in may this year, I haven't told them the other thing yet. I won't get into details but good luck to you. <3
    I don't see this combination that often so I wanted to post.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd come out as both in one shot. Although it's kind of weird; I get more flak from telling people that I'm an atheist than from telling them I'm bisexual.

From one atheist to another, cheers!

5. TheTeeJaii

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what to suggest. On one hand, Coming out will make you feel like a load is removed from your chest, but if it is going to cause family tension, I wouldn't advise it...at least until you can survive financially without them. the same goes for Atheism.
    DOn't do anything that could result in you feeling more unhappy than you are now.

6. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice guys! Also, Escapist, I absolutely love your username. Not sure if you got it from the song, but that's my favorite song ever.

7. MC Nickayyy xD

That one place, you know, by that one thing.
    <3 atheist and bisexual. I told my family, who's Christian, both at once and it went well. Hope everything works out!