1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Liam101, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Liam101

I'm 16, accepted I'm gay however I haven't told anyone as of yet that's why I want to tell my male best mate. I think he would understand (i think hes figured it out already) I just have no idea of how to go about telling him? I'm just so scared! Has anyone got any advice that could help me?

2. Eleanor Rigby

Well, if you think he had figured out you're gay already and that he would be supportive, why don't ask him to go for a coffee, or for a walk and then simply tell him ? I think that would be the easiest way really. If you don't feel comfortable with telling him this way, you can also send him a text or an email, or write him a letter and giving it to him. That's entirely up to you :slight_smile:

3. Lebowski45

First of all, congratulations for coming to terms with being gay and wanting to come out, that's a big step in itself.

There's no right or wrong way to go about it, my advice would be to do whatever feels comfortable.

For me, I told a lot of my friends by text message. Some people may see that as cowardly, but I don't - I was having a real hard time telling people in person, mainly because I didn't want to see people's initial reactions, but that may be different if you think he already suspects. So I'd write a short text saying how I had something to tell them, I'm gay, I'm happy I can be open about it to you etc etc.

Or, if you do want to tell him in person, I found a good way of doing it was to focus on saying the phrase "there's something I want to tell you". If I could blurt that out, they'd ask "what?" and then I felt like I could tell them. It worked for me anyway.

Do whatever feels right for you! I don't think the delivery of the message really matters at all, the important thing is that you tell them if you want them to know. Having someone you trust to talk about it really helps.

Hope this in some way helps and good luck! :grin: I'm sure it'll be fine :slight_smile:

#3 Lebowski45, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  4. Liam101

Okay thanks everyone! I don't think I'll do it by text as I don't think it's a suitable way for me, I won't to see what that person thinks and yeah... I don't know I think I might wait a couple of weeks and throw in some hints or something in that time!