1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i want to come out at work

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by queenofhearts, Nov 6, 2012.

1. queenofhearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so ive decided i want to come out at work...but basically this is becoming a little more difficult than i had planned. Basically, they stopped asking me dating questions/boyfriend questions ect. because ive avoided the topics for so long. (ive been there for about 5 months now)..but i know i need to do this. so now i have to do it the awkward way and bring it up myself. so i was thinking of saying something along the lines of "so theres no way for me to do this without making it awkward but do u think there is anyone here that has issues with gay people"..and then go from there. i feel like that way its not a huge melodramatic conversation but it kinda throws everything on the table. Thoughts?..anyone know a better way to do this?..i just dont want to make a huge deal out of it :frowning2:

2. kingdominth4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could turn it into some sort of a comedic statement. Maybe ask one of your co-workers "But you didn't know I was a lesbian." or maybe casually lay it on them when they bring up a similar subject: for instance one of you co-workers talks about the troubles of heterosexual dating or what-not. You break in "Makes me appreciate being gay." Or you could use the direct approach like you suggested, but if someone were to have an issue with homosexuality you would have gotten more trouble than you have bargained for; but of course that is a risk of coming out in general. Regardless just suggestions, best of luck coming out at your job!

3. MBS

MBS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well the elections are happening, today actually, and Im sure there will be comments on who voted for who, and if you like the New/Returning President. You could use this as an opportunity to bring it up. When people ask you who you voted for you can reply Obama or Stein or whomever it was you voted for, and then you can mention that one of the major reasons why you voted for them was because they support gay rights. Or if you didnt vote, and Obama is re-elected then you can say you were happy he got it because he supports gay rights, or if Romney gets it you can say you are upset because he doesnt. I would try to avoid that question of "who hear doesn't support gay rights?" People might not like being called out on their ignorance, and since they are your coworkers and you will have to see them again it might make things uncomfortable for you and them. Good Luck coming out! I know it can be scary, but it's always great to go and do! Hope it all goes well!!

4. AlexisAnne

I like the suggestion on using the elections myself. I think your initial idea is workable as well, it all depends on the situation. Though I'm really making no effort to remain closeted at work in regards to my orientation, I'm not "Out" out there, and I'm thinking I might use the elections, particularly with a same sex marriage amendment on the ballot in my state, to just finally lay it all out on the table.

I do think that if you feel it's right, and that this is your time, you should go for it! Good luck. :slight_smile:

5. Neutrality

I like to do it casually rather then make a big announcement, if you don't make a big deal about it maybe they won't

6. ezkill

I guess the best way is to be direct... but I'd be very careful coming out at a place of work. You can still get fired in many places just for being gay... or someone will be so homophobic that they will hold you under a microscope... although I'm not trying to be discouraging, so I apologize.