1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my brother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nerdling, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Nerdling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So last month, around this time I came out to my 8 closest friends. I was thinking about coming out to my family this month or in December. But I just recently got into an argument with my mom about the presidential election, and the subject of gay rights came up. She pretty much point blank said 'I know you support gay rights, but I don't. I think it's wrong and disgusting' this was the first time I've heard her opinion on the matter, and it hit me pretty hard.

I know that you should never come out of anger, but I was so close, just to see her reaction. But I've always been prepared for the worst, my family is really conservative. So I've sort of given up on coming out to my parents for now, but I'm thinking about telling my eldest brother. He is the only other liberal family member (that I know of), and I feel like if I told him it'd make things easier, to have an ally on my side when I tell my parents.

I know the answer should be obvious, but I just want to hear some of your guys thoughts.

2. BudderMC

Well, you said it yourself, the answer is obvious. If you think he's supportive, I don't see any reason not to. I don't know how old you are, but something to consider is that you're capable of living on your own if need be (worst-case scenario). Additionally, you should be confident he wouldn't share with the rest of the family.

3. Nerdling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm old enough to move out and I have some money saved up if it does come down to the worst case scenario. But I'm in school right now, and I'd rather use that money when I'm finished with my degree. I know he wouldn't tell anyone. He doesn't really talk to my parents about a lot of things, mainly just about what he's working on and his wife. But thanks for the response! It helped. :slight_smile:

4. BudderMC

No problem, and good luck! Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

5. Nerdling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I told him. : )
    I was right, he was really supportive and said he was proud of me. I've never really been close with him but it was nice to hear him say that, and he told me to call if I ever needed to talk. c:

6. chelshy

I am soo happy it is fantastic you have a suport system.