1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sooo guestion.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chelshy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. chelshy

One... Okay so I am going to school for criminal justice to be a cop. Anyway learned something in class a few weeks ago that have been perculating and bothering me so I researched it... In Tx it is illigal to have diviant sex whixh is defined as two people of the same gender... It goes on to explain what acttually of it is illigal. My problem is how am i suposed to feel when my state my home and leaders say that it a crime?

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I live in Michigan; I'm gay and I have a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice. I never thought about laws pertaining to my personal life. I'm sure you can be a Police a Officer as well as gay woman without any repercussions. I wanted to become an Officer, but they have been laying them off like crazy. I think you should follow your heart & dreams, don't allow anyone to take them from you.

#2 pinklov3ly, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  3. chelshy

Thanks I have been thinkking on this. Then coming to the conclusion I am Bi quite possibly its not helped at all. Just sucks knowing if I were to ever have a GF and be intamit I would be breaking thelaw. Oh well closed door i guess.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're referring to Texas' "sodomy" law, then that was effectively overturned in 2003 with Lawrence v. Texas. Many old laws like that are still on the books, but never enforced because it's already known they won't hold up in court. Going through the process of actually removing the law doesn't actually change anything, so frequently old laws aren't.

Unless you're referring to something else, in which case this may be moot. :slight_smile:

5. chelshy

I am refering well guess i needent freak out. And i obviously didnt do enough research... Course its in the penal code still which is what were studying so. Thats why i freaked

6. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would you being intimate with your girlfriend break the law? There's no law in Texas that states being with a woman is a criminal offense. I know many important cases that have nothing to do with sexuality, but more about race. Homosexuality has been around for years, years before we existed. Try googling the word Lesbian, it will tell you all about the history of it.

#6 pinklov3ly, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. redstormrising

homosexuality may have been around for years, but it is still illegal to engage in same-sex acts in a lot of places in the world. and like another poster mentioned above, many states had and still have similar laws on the books but they are no longer enforceable after the Supreme Court's holding in Lawrence v. Texas. we still have surprisingly little legal protection in any respect. for example, in most states it's perfectly okay to discriminate based on sexual orientation or gender presentation. we are not protected under federal discrimination laws, so it is up to each individual state to make us a protected category or not.