1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So should I just confirm her fears?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musicgeek13, Nov 6, 2012.

1. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

My mom has been talking to my sister (who of course told me) that she thinks I am gay. My whole family is extremely conservative and anti-gay. She has said on many occasions that she would rather I be pregnant than gay. (Background on that: she got pregnant at an early age with my sister and it pretty much ruined her plans for her life) So my question is, since she obviously already suspects, should I just tell her and confirm it? My plan was to wait until I had a reason to. Or at the very least, until I was moved out of her house. But since I have the opening, should I take it? On one hand it might make everything easier. On the other, I could be totally alienated from all the people I care about: extended family, friends of the family that we met through church, etc. I just don't know what to do! :help:

2. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could enlist your sister to help "feel her out." Ask your sister to ask your mother what she'd do if she found out you're gay. Then base your decision off that.

3. Eleanor Rigby

Well, the decision is yours, but obviously you can't really expect a very welcoming answer from your mother. So the question that matters most now is to know if that would be safe to you to come out ? Is there a risk you could be kicked from home ? Is there a risk that your parents would cut their financial help ? Is there a risk for you to be physically attacked or verbally abused ? Is there a risk your parents try to send you to an "ex-gay" camp or therapist ?
    If that's the case, I think it would be safer for you to wait to have moved out or at least to have a backup plan in case things gets ugly with your family.
    What matters most is for you to be safe, even if that means staying in the closet a little longer.
    Take good care of yourself (*hug*) Cécile

4. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

Ya this is what I am afraid of. While I know they would never hurt me on purpose, I don't think they would receive the news passively. And since I am planning on either enlisting of joining the military by next year, I might be better of waiting.

5. Eleanor Rigby

If that's something you're feeling ok with, I think it's a reasonable option :slight_smile:

Good luck with this (*hug*), Cécile