1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by narwhals, Nov 7, 2012.

1. narwhals

narwhals Guest

Maybe this is a bad place to ask this but oh well. I'm 13 and in grade 8. Next year I'm going to high school and I applied for the IB program but I don't know if I can do that. :help: I'm stuck between IB at that school or a GT program at another school. Has anyone experienced either of these and could tell me what they're like? I have no idea what to do!

2. Pyrotactick

IB? GT? O_O....what? I don't quite follow what you mean. Maybe because I was a slacker. Either way, I just applied to 3 schools and that was that, all private, one Catholic (accepted and currently being a Sophomore in Catholic school, not Catholic though). Could you go a little more in depth with IB GT?

3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How soon does the International Baccalaureate program have you taking IB classes? Freshman year, IMO, is too soon, I took my first AP class my sophomore year. How does the IB program work? Can give us some indication of your previous levels of academic success? Also, what is a GT program and what does it entail?

Answering those questions could help us help you make a decision, but ultimately the decision is yours to make.

I was in a similar situation when I was your age, ok I was 14 and there was no track but it was still a personal decision to take 9 AP classes, and hope you make the choice that is best for you.

ninga-ed by pyrotactick (so as not to look like the guy that doesn't read posts above his)

4. narwhals

narwhals Guest

Freshman and sophomore year is IB prep. Junior and senior is regular IB.

5. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I dont know what a GT is, but I went to the IB program in high school.

Dont wanna sound full of myself but it was pretty fun feeling "average" in the class instead of being near the top of everyone grades-wise. Helped me feel slightly more normal. Other than that though, it was basically just a ton of work that I didnt end up using in university and definitely not in real life. But everyone's experience is different.

6. suninthesky

GT = gifted and talented

I did AP and entered college as a 2nd semester sophomore. If you can do AP or another concurrent program, I would do it. If they don't have that, then IB is good. IB takes a lot of time - from what I've heard AP is usually more accommodating of extracurriculars. Definitely depends on what the GT program is (does it give you any college credit?) Feel free to PM me if you want more advice!

7. I recommend taking the hardest courseload you can for a number of reasons:
    College admissions committees will be more likely to think that you're a hard working student if you take more challenging courses.
    Taking the exams can earn you units/credits when you enter college, saving you some time/money and/or giving you a boost in class standing, depending on your college (similar to what suninthesky said).
    Some of the courses will be beneficial for your college career, again depending on where you go and what field you choose.

Downsides are working hard and paying to take the exams, unless you're exempt or can receive fee waivers.

So if you can handle it, take the IB courses and get your International Baccalaureate thing. My high school did not have IB, but offered AP courses. In hindsight, I would have wanted to take more AP courses (7+). But to get anywhere you have to work hard in life anyways, so that's not really a downside, just a truth (unless you're fortunate in life and meet all the right people at the right time and place).

8. Ticklish Fish

and also learning what major might NOT interest you at all lol

9. narwhals

narwhals Guest

Thanks for the advice. I have the interview Saturday. Wish me luck!

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2012 at 03:23 PM ----------

The GT program is really just a liaison to get you into advanced stuff. So no direct college credits. I don't know if the school offering GT has AP. the one with IB does but I'm choice enrolling into it so no guarantees. So you're saying AP would be better?

10. I did IB, and it was fine. The workload was more than the average student, but it was not unmanageable. Colleges like to see that students are taking the most difficult courses possible. It shows that you are hardworking and dedicated to your school work.

11. Eurinthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in IB right now (senior year). It's definitely a lot more work than a traditional high school program, but if you're intelligent and diligent, it shouldn't be a problem. From what I've heard from various college visits, it's important that you take the most challenging coursework available in your environment--that is, some colleges won't care if you did IB as long as they know you didn't "slack off" in a different high school program.

I think IB is a good experience; lots of people get the diploma, but that doesn't make them an IB student. It's very satisfying to know that you can manage difficult coursework and balance it with your life. On a different note, I've heard from college friends that IB doesn't help you at all after graduation; for most really good colleges, you do just as much work there as you did in IB.

12. If the school with IB also has AP, can you choose to do a mix, or do AP if you don't want IB? I think AP is definitely more flexible because there isn't a track to get an equivalent to the IB diploma. I've read from Internet forums that the IB diploma can have a demanding route.

In California, I think AP is the more popular program. Throughout high school and even now at college, I almost never hear/d people talk about the IB program. If the IB program doesn't work out for you, AP is still a great option. From my experience, people/colleges don't make a big deal the differences between AP and IB. As long as you take classes from either program, it'll be good for you.

Good luck on your interview!

13. narwhals

narwhals Guest

Thanks! I think I can't do AP. because freshman year there is an AP civics class but I think it counts as an elective. So I think that I'm stuck doing all IB

14. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    GT is a great experience