1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did something I shouldn't have?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gazza123, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I was just browsing through YouTube just looking at music videos and people ive subscribed to, the normal when I clicked on a video about three guys who hate being gay.

They all said it was wrong and that they would furce themselves to be straight. The comments on the video were even worse telling gay people to go to hell, thàt it's a disease and referring to us by names such as fags which I hate.

Anyway to cut a long story short. I feel really crap and down, why did I have be gay? Why did I have to make my already difficult life a lot harder? I mean am out and that's great but it's tough.

I was fine until I clicked on that video and realised, yeah some people I really nasty :tears:

2. Jared

(*hug*)

Being gay isn't a choice so you didn't make your life any harder. There nothing you can do about your sexuality so don't beat yourself up over it, easier said than done I know. People can be so nasty and cruel and its sickening and hurtful. I just found out that that tomorrow the Westboro Baptist Church is picketing my university so tomorrow is not going to be fun. I mostly just try to avoid anti gay things since they make me really depressed, but it can be hard to do. If you ever want to talk send me a PM (*hug*)

-Jared

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Thanks

I do as rule avoid anti gay videos and such so I don't know why I clicked on the video... Guess curiousity got the better of me. I'm just feeling a little down so that might be adding to it

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can't give power the people the power to hate you. Be true to yourself! :slight_smile:

I heard a pastor once talk about this concept. He said one day an old man and a little boy were at the Grand Canyon. The little boy was riding on a donkey, and a group of people went by them and said "Look at that mean little boy! Making that old man walk while he rides a donkey!!!" Overhearing this, the little boy got off the donkey and the old man got on. Along the way some more people passed by and said "Look at that cruel old man, making that little boy walk while he rides on a donkey!!!" They both decided to get on the donkey so people would stop complaining, but soon more people came by and said "Look how awful that old man and that little boy are, making that donkey work so hard!!!" They both eventually just picked up the donkey and started walking with it. :grin:

Even so, I'm sure some people in passing would have made fun of them for carrying a donkey. This is why, no matter what, you have to just be the best YOU can be, and it doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else. :slight_smile:

5. Emberblaze

Don't feel bad, that video attracted just a portion of the population that have a hatred towards gays. And now, here you are on EC, a site that attracts the population of people who are gay or supports gays.

Don't feel bad about those people, they're just faceless people hiding behind a computer screen, kay. They aren't the people that matter.

"Yeah, some people make bad attempts to make you fall. But that's not the right way to play, that's the dirty way." So don't let them pull you into their world, cuz you gotta choose to live for yourself.

(And now that i've just taken like five lines from it, maybe you wanna listen to a song called "Tatakai" from The World Ends With You?)

Anyways, stay strong man, don't let people get to you

6. AlexisAnne

First of all, I love that story Myheart! It does an excellent job of illustrating the fact that, no matter what we do, when we choose to act on what we think is right, there are going to be people who disagree and hate, no matter what are actions might be. I personally like the song lyrics, "You can't please everybody, so you have to please yourself." I've learned in life that this phrase is so true.

Yeah, there are people out there who hate us based on sexuality, gender, ect... but you can choose just about any quality that makes a particular group unique, and there are going to be people out there who hate on it. There's nothing wrong with any of those groups, there's nothing wrong with me, and there's nothing wrong with you either. Yes, it's difficult to bear that sometimes, but the feeling you get from being yourself and just facing up to what others think, in my opinion, far outweighs the despair that comes from keeping yourself locked away.

7. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you I loved that sermon and I'm always sharing it with my friends. :grin: I agree with you, that keeping yourself locked away is far worse than just being yourself, and its a shame that it takes us our entire lives to learn to understand that concept.

8. Ticklish Fish

You take youtube comments seriously? :roflmao:

9. Isabelle

Never take YouTube seriously. They are rude and they hide behide a computer screen. They feel bad about themselves so they make themselves feel better by making other people feel like crap.

10. TheSeeker

You are human. That is all, so what if you like guys? The people who can't understand that are deluded, misguided, and bigoted because people like us dare deviate from their cultural norm. But riddle me this: When did the human race ever move forward by being status quo?
    The vanguard of civilization is rarely an accepted group. Remember that the earth was once flat and being orbited by the sun...

Someday, in our country at least, being anything other than straight will simply be another shade of normal, nothing queer about it. After all, love transcends all barriers and it always wins in the end.

Be proud to be secure enough in yourself as a human being to be truthful about yourself to both yourself and others. It takes far more courage than most people possess. People will hate you, people will revile you, but that is their problem and not yours. Pity them for having so narrow a view on a grand a universe.

Stay strong,

-The Seeker

11. Ticklish Fish

this.

Remember, with internet, there come trolls/flamers/anonymous persona.

12. Zuuki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The people in that video are obviously not "true gays." You should be proud to be different, and not give a fuck what those jerks on YouTube say. People who say homosexuals deserve to go to hell, deserve to go hell themselves, for being so judgmental on a person based on who they love.

13. Sweet Witch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow that's a great anecdote! I'm totally keeping that one in mind when I have to confront haters (in anything really). Sounds like a pastor who knows what he's talking about.

And yeah it's hard hearing people basically hate on who you are. Those kind of comments always get me down but I usually perk myself back up by realizing that all those people are so severely ignorant that its pitiful. People who have hate like that are just building up tons of bad karma and their stupidity is gonna bite them in the ass someday.

14. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Thanks for all your responses. They really mean a lot to be and I really like that little story that myheartincheck posted. Made me realise that no matter what we do people are gonna hate, not necessarily about 'gay' but about anything, music taste, films, tv, books anything.

I don't take the comments on YouTube serious because those people are sitting behind a computer screen. It just makes me feel sad. But I will think of that little story each time and realise... I'm fine the way I am

To quote a singer I love, no matter how cliche it is for a gay guy to like her

I was "born this way baby" - Lady GaGa