1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonight

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxMMxx, Nov 8, 2012.

1. xxMMxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a load of stuff typed and i some how deleted it drunk so to cut a long story short i was called out tonight and automatically denied it. After which I realized I should have admitted I'm gay because I get the feeling all my friends know anyway and are just waiting for me to say it. I'm going to tell a friend who i know will be supportive tomorrow hopefully but I'm still drunk now so i don't know if I'll go through with it.:smilewave

2. Toffee

Hey there, a little Dutch courage can be good when coming out (believe me I know from personal experience) but don't get so drunk you don't know what you are saying or doing so wait until you've sobered up and then have a good think about what exactly you want to say :slight_smile:

3. AAASAS

Getting called out is a good time tocome out, you don't have to do it , or be nervous prior to doing it, it just happens. I wish I would get called out.

4. xxMMxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know its the perfect opportunity but my defence mechanism kicks in any time I get called out and I just deny deny deny. It's just automatic to me I can't even help it.

5. AAASAS

Nah I do the same thing defensively. But I think that should give it away. Next time your called out say "So what?" that or "So?" thats not admitting it, you can pass it off as playing around, and you can still gauge their reaction.

6. xxMMxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think they'll be fine with it but it's more the fact of my Irish catholic upbringing as well that makes it hard to admit this kind of thing. In Ireland you keep this kind of thing to yourself it's just the way things are done.

7. AlexisAnne

I have the same issue with automatic defenses at times. Recently at work, I got involved in a discussion on the differences in the way the sexes communicate, and basically every time girl I was talking to would say that guys just don't seem to get something, I would tell her I totally get it and, with about four or five other people around I suddenly said out loud that I don't fall into a normal gender category. I immediately started a debate with her to take attention off of what I'd just said. So, not only do I automatically defend if somebody calls me out, at least on gender, but I defend when I "call myself out." It's frustrating, because I kind of wish I had come out with this then (and in fact I did go in the next night and come out to just her).

For me this happens more because I've been doing it for so long and it's kind of a reflex, then out of any real fear. It's just something I have to work on. It's getting better though. I wouldn't get too drunk to do this, it's better if you're aware of what you're doing, but I think WooEEE's idea makes sense. Saying something short like that doesn't require a lot of thought or planning on your part as far as coming out is concerned, and it'll probably be easier.