1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumped, deployment, and death.. amongst other troubles....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Memory tapes, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Memory tapes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this is probably totally random to come onto a forum I know nothing about but I'm literally sitting here having a mini breakdown with no one to talk to and found this site. I haven't posted on a forum since I was probably 19 but right now I'm at the point where I'm literally about to lose my shit if I don't get it all out. I'm trying to remember that emotional catharsis that writing gives. I know I could just type it up and save it for a secret entry in my journal but it's not that I'm trying to seek attention; I just want to know that someone somewhere can say "I've felt that too...."
    So, tonight I had one of those moments where you open your phone and quite literally feel as if someone has punched you in the face. You feel a jolting shock of electricity run with such powerful force from your temples down to your spine and your skin tingles and palms start to sweat and you get dizzy and feel like the world has temporarily been jolted off its axis and not in a good way. I opened my phone to see a picture of my now ex with the girl I found out she was cheating on me with. It's so shocking and I still feel blindsided by it.
    I know...it's dumb to feel so upset, but in the past month I've had 2 friends die- 1 was murdered and 1 only God knows why he took him. Oh, and I leave for my 2nd deployment to Afghanistan in 4 days. I feel like I've literally had the weight of the world just dropped onto my shoulders. I'm about to deploy and feeling like I'm at a point where I should be mentally tough and I'm just not. I'm broken and beaten down.
    This past year has just been hard as well...6 months ago was supposed to be my original deployment date and me and my ex were going through another one of our "rough spots." Things started to look up and then my deployment was suddenly cancelled and once she found out I wouldn't be able to support her since I would no longer be getting deployed she quit talking to me. (I know...red flag #1) Both sets of news physically, financially and emotionally devastated me and I ended up having to call my family and suddenly move back home to come up with plan B. I lost all my friends when I moved and I ended up having to transfer units and just so happened to get into a unit that is, surprise, leaving next Wednesday for Afghanistan.
    I started talking to my ex again this past summer and after HER persistent begging I agreed to take her back. I didn't see her until about a month ago when I went to Nashville. The same night I went to see her my friend was murdered by his own brother. I guess in the midst of my emotional turmoil over that I promised her I would stay faithful to her while I was gone. When I make a promise I mean it. I've never cheated in my life and have always been faithful.
    Things seemed like they would be great....In spite of getting ready to deploy and news of my friend's death I felt like I finally had something to look forward too. I had someone to comfort me through my loss. I thought that maybe the past could be the past and just knowing that someone would be waiting for me back home made Afghanistan seem a little less scary.
    Well about a week and a half ago...after promising me love and tons of other shitty lies, I go on facebook and see that she had deleted me and she suddenly quit answering all my calls and texts. I had no idea what was going on......I didn't know what had happened or what I had done. I know it's shitty and stalkerish of me and, yes, I went about it in quite a sneaky way. I decided to log into her facebook and found messages between her and the same girl I saw the picture of tonight. I was devastated. My mouth was dry...I had that anxiety you get where it feels like no matter where you go, it's not the right place. I tried to give her a chance to let herself out of the lie and when she wouldn't I sent her a picture of what I found. I haven't heard from her since and I've been hoping and praying it wasn't true. I've been hoping it was all just a bad dream and then tonight my stomach was turned inside out and my worst fear confirmed.
    I just don't understand how someone can be so cold and heartless that they wouldn't even give you the courtesy of dumping you outright...Hell...if I hadn't decided to be sneaky I may have left the country thinking I was in love and sending the bitch money....Anyways...2 days after all this bullshit, one of the greatest men I've ever known just suddenly died. 2 close friends die, a shitty break up and deploying all shoved into one terrible ass month. I don't know if my problems seem shallow but I feel the loss of this past month just piling on top of me and with barely any friends back home to talk to I've felt totally alone.
    Tonight it's all just come to a head and I literally feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm so scared of leaving this Wednesday and feeling like I'm striking out into this alone with no one at my back already dealing with the close deaths of friends. I know I have my family and a few close friends but it's not the same as having someone you think you'll spend the rest of your life with. And I know the breakup has taken the forefront of the story, probably because it's set my mind's catastrophic thinking into action, but it's a lot harder to deal with the grieving of someone's death when you're faced with the very real possibility of your own death within the next year makes it all the harder. I'm just feeling lost tonight. The biggest fear I have is being alone and right now I've never felt more alone. I don't want this to be the way I feel for the next year. I feel like I should have it all together and be strong, but right now I'm weak and just want to break down.
    If anyone takes the time to read this, thank you. I know it's long but honestly it's the short version. No, I'm not suicidal either. I just needed to vent and if venting on a public forum is too much...well report me to admin. Hopefully someone can relate. Hopefully someone is listening.

2. Eleanor Rigby

Hey (*hug*),

I'm really sorry that you're going through all this at such a bad moment for you. Having a heartbreak is definitely painful and grieving your friends at the same time must be terribly difficult too (*hug*).
    I completely understand that you're feeling that this is too much for you to deal with, especially just before leaving for Afghanistan, which would be nerves recking in itself.
    (*hug*).
    The only thing that is positive here is that, at least, you won't hold on your ex-grilfriend when you'll be there. Because holding on her and discovering she had been cheating on you when you'd be back would have been a terrible experience too.
    I know it's not very comforting, but at least, you know the truth and you can work on moving on.
    Moving from a heartbreak and grieving are the same kind of process really, the only things that really help are time (a lot of time) and support. Your time in Afghanistan may give you the time and space you need to move on from your heartbreak, but that would be good if you could find some support here, because it's a tough experience in itself and you're already feeling vulnerable. Maybe you can find someone to talk about this in your unit. I doubt there are counselors, but maybe a chaplain ?
    I hope you're going to find help someway. And please, take good care of yourself when you'll be there ok (*hug*) ? Cécile

3. bluey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My partner was in the military and deployed a few times when he was single and twice when we were together. He always said leaving as a single bloke was one less thing to stress about. I know its shitty what she did to you but look for the silver lining in things. But I'm very sorry to hear of your losses. My partner passed away about 8 months ago and i hate to use the cliche time heals all.. We know it doesn't but your wounds will eventually heal. Stay safe and best of luck with everything you're going through

4. Memory tapes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what everyone says. I was single last time and it wasn't terrible. It's just a lot to deal with before leaving. I'm sorry to hear your partner passed away. That's got to be awful.

5. bluey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah it is awful. Some days are worse than others

6. AAASAS

That sucks your girlfriend is a cheating bitch. But not everyone can be perfect, just be happy that you aren't one of them, and the fact you are one of them means that there are others out there for sure.

I can't say I feel bad for the Afghanistan part, it must suck to have to leave, but it is your job; correct? You chose that path, and I bet you it does make you happy otherwise why would you choose it. So be excited to be going back to work rather than sad, and this may seem harsh but it is meant to make you feel better. Why would you be upset over something that you had 100% control over, you didn't have to join the army, no one forced you, it was your decision. So instead of dwelling over it, go with it, you chose to do it for a reason, why not focus on why you are going instead of what you're missing by going.

It was your choice and I am sure you had a good reason to chose to join the army, so I would focus on that choice and rather WHY you chose to go, than what you get from not going. That should make you feel better, it's your obligation, and you are fulfilling it. It's called being a responsible adult. You should be commending yourself. Not beating yourself up.

I am sure Astronauts, Policeman, and Firemen always question why they are doing what they are doing right before they do it, but then they remember THE REASON, WHY THEY WANTED THIS LIFE, and it makes them do it. I doubt any Astronaut just jumps on a shuttle without regretting their decision, but once they arrived home safely they don't know why they would do anything else. Same goes for Police force, Firemen, and Army Personnel. It is a high stressor job full of regret, but some people just have them in them to do it, because it the end the reward is far greater than the stress.

You chose this path, have fun with it, enjoy the positives, there is no good on dwelling on negatives as cliche as that sounds. What does it accomplish? If someone gave you arsenic to drink would you drink it? No, so why let others and your opinions poison your mind. Drink the water, which is the positives.

#6 AAASAS, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  7. Memory tapes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right and I know I seem kind of whiney about it. I love it and love what I do. The excitement of going overshadows the fear it's just last night the circumstances and duress I've been under have made it terrifying. I just need to buck up and prepare myself mentally rather than focusing on all the bullshit that doesn't matter.

8. summermidnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, sorry that she hurt you that way. And double sorry about your friends.

I don't think you're being whiney, it's just that when you have something horrible happen to you it kind of disrupts your inner peace and mental calm. I have family in the marines so I know deployment is something you have to mentally prepare for.

You seem like you're a strong person to be able to have dealt with this thus far so just keep in mind that these horrible experiences are proving that the person you are is even tougher than you thought. And never be ashamed to vent. We all need someone to listen to us sometimes.