1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First date with a guy, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jimboslice423, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Jimboslice423

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have met like the most amazing guy ever on a dating site. We are gonna go on a date and I have no idea what to do. I always dated girls before. I mean do I pay or go Dutch or what? If we go to a movie is it ok for me to try to hold his hand? Stuff like that. Please help, I don't wanna screw this up. :/

2. robclem21

Everyone and every date is different. Personal experience, I always like to pay when I take someone out. If he offers to pay I would at least insist that I pay for my half until he literally fights me off.

Hand holding I would say just go with the moment. If it feels right do it, but there is no obligation either way. Again everyone is different. If he shakes it off don't push it, but if he likes it great :slight_smile:.

Just be yourself. He is probably trying to impress you just as much and if you keep that in mind it takes some of the pressure off. He obviously likes you back or he wouldn't have agreed to go out with you.

Be safe and have fun!

3. Aielar

Take a couple deep breaths before you go, and be yourself is about all I can offer in the way of advice. I'd be inclined to go dutch on the first date, but it's different in every situation. Make sure to meet somewhere public as well...and congrats on meeting an awesome person :slight_smile:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't treat it any different than a date with a girl. Treat him with kindness, take time to talk and get to know him a little bit, hold his hand if it seems like that might be appropriate. Volunteer to pay, but if he offers to split it, let him.

As for what to do, I'd suggest meeting at a coffeeshop first, maybe taking a walk or (if you like shopping) going to poke around at a clothing store, furniture store, antiques store or whatever. That way, you get a chance to talk the whole time, rather than sitting silently in a movie for 2 hours :slight_smile: You can always do a movie for a 2nd or 3rd date, if you feel a connection developing.

5. Jimboslice423

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys :slight_smile: I guess he has midterms all next week, so we won't get to go out for a little bit :/ but we was talking about doing dinner and a movie. I usually don't care for a movie on the first date, but we are both HUGE Disney fans so we were going to go see Wreck It Ralph. Does that sound like a good idea?

6. oneday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like a good plan. Be safe and do whatever feels right. I remember being in your position when I went on my first date ever with a guy...which was really only last July. You'll become a pro! :slight_smile: Good luck and let us know how it goes!

7. Jimboslice423

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will let everyone know how it goes. Hopefully it will be decently soon lol. I really like him.