1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Don't Stand So Close To Me, I'm Having Trouble Breathing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Serephina, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Serephina

Warning ; This is very long, and very depressing. Feel free to just mosey on along to something less dramatic and terribly written.

At my school, we do this thing called Challenge Day. If you've done it, or know someone who has, you know that it's an emotional roller coaster; laughing one minute and crying the next. When the big group split up into what they called "family groups" - which were just small groups of five to six we went back to consistently - we did this thing they called "dropping the water line". It basically referred to what they called the ice berg that was us. Most people know that only about 10% of the ice berg is actually visible, with 90% being hidden under the water. The Challenge Day leaders aid that's what each and every one of us was like; showing the world what they wanted to see and hiding 90% of who we really are. So they "challenged" us to drop our water lines. One of the ways they did that was by getting us to talk about ourselves, starting with "If you really knew me..." and then filling in the blank. That's what I'm going to do now, because I am freaking out and all I want to do is scream. I have to get the words out somehow, and I'm hoping by starting with something generic, that will be easier. So if this is just a jumbled mess of nothing, I apologize.

If you really knew me, you'd know that I have been emotionally abused by my father for the past seven years. You'd know that I'm never going to be good enough for him, and I've lost all respect for my parents. You'd know that every single one of his sentences follows this pattern: "You did well, Sera, but..."

If you really knew me, you'd know that I've cut for the past three years, and even though I've tried to stop, I always go back to it. I have uncounted numbers of thick, white lines on my upper arm, and now they're popping up on my ankles, and above my knees. I can't seem to stop myself from going for the metal, especially when I'm here, in his house. I can't stop.

If you really knew me, you'd know that my father is only of those people who believe homosexuality, or anything other than the male-female relationship, is a choice, and whoever chooses to step outside this mold is choosing wrong. You'd know that I'm afraid to tell him I may be a lesbian, but at the same time I'd be proud, because he'd never want to see me again and if I never had to come back here, it would be too soon.

If you really knew me, you'd know that I'm terrified of ending up alone, but I can't trust anyone. You'd know that each and every relationship I've been in has ended in disaster, and that everyone I've ever loved has rejected me, or I've pushed them away. I can't just love someone, because I don't know how to love. I don't know how to be happy.

If you really knew me, you'd know that I want children more than anything else in the world. But you'd also know that I don't want to bring a child, a part of myself, into the world, knowing that it will likely inherit the mental diseases that plague my family. Depression, anxiety, and anger are only the tip of the ice berg, and I don't want my baby to have to go through that. I want my child to grow up never having to wonder if his or her mother will be angry, or depressed, or if Grandpa is going to visit, and there will be more screaming. I refuse to raise another generation filled with suffering and pain.

If you really knew me, you still wouldn't know how close I was to killing myself just last week. I told no one, no one but my search engine. Only google knew that I was searching up what could mix with my anxiety medication to make it so I could go to sleep and never wake up. Only my pillow knew that I cried myself to sleep every night. Only my knife understood me when it sang across my skin, and only that pretty red line could express what I was feeling inside.

If you really knew me, you'd know that I almost go pregnant on my first time. I didn't want to have sex with him. I didn't want it, and I told him that, but it happened anyway. I didn't say yes, but I didn't say no. My body wanted it, but my mind did not. The sound; I've never told anyone this. But the sound of the condom breaking still echos in my mind. I knew what had happened, but I didn't know. I didn't understand. I heard the sound, but I didn't say anything. And then his voice; "Oh my god. Oh god. The condom broke. Oh my god." Panic set in. He started to chain smoke, I sank to the floor and grabbed his rum and coke to calm my nerves. I paced. I didn't cry. Couldn't. There were no words. He apologized. I shook my head. Craved my knife, and told him so. He yelled at me. I sat and took it. He smoked some more, and I drew pictures of eyes. Gorgeous eyes, with long lashes. I went home, and bled.

If you really knew me, you'd know that I've been in love with both of my best friends for years. A boy and a girl. One I dated on and off, the other I had to watch dated guys who used and abused her. I had to watch the guy be in love with my other best friend, who only used him, and I had to watch the girl get her heart broken over and over. I let myself be used by both of them, in different ways. Never sexual, because the girl "doesn't do best friends" and the guy never saw me that way, although he faked it when he was lonely. But emotional abuse hurts just as badly. I would know.

If you really knew me, you'd know that I was kicked out of my house last week. You'd know that my father threatened to call the cops and have me forcibly removed if I didn't leave his property. You'd also know that I live on an acreage, and I had no where to go. I don't have a car, and he'd taken my cell phone, and it was -20 Celsius and there was a foot of snow on the ground. He took off, and I packed up my things and called my mother.

If you really knew me, you'd know that even though I'm screaming inside, I can't cry. My arm is pulsating, begging for the gentle touch of metal, crying out for release. I might give in. I want to. I want to bleed out my frustrations, or I'm going to scream. I can't stay here, but I can't leave. They expect me to be strong, but how can I ever be strong enough for this?

If you really knew me, you'd know that I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I want to write books, make music, and raise a family, but I can't do any of that. You can't make any money doing any of those things, and I don't know how to love myself, so I can't expect anyone to love me, boy or girl.​

Well, that was my break down. Now a bit of poetry, and I shall disappear.

Am I your canvas;
    your experiment?
    To wreck and ruin
    to your hearts content?​

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I don't have any words of advice or wisdom to say about this, but I can say that you're alive for a reason. I can tell that you're a very strong person and what you've gone through, I couldn't imagine it happening to me. I hope you will pull through any difficult situations you may face further on your journey.

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Serephina

Thank you... I guess that's what I'm trying to do. Pull through.

-hugs Con back-​

5. revi

revi Guest

omg I'm sooooo sorry you've been through such horrible things and that your going through that. Everyone here loves you and if you don't believe me I am crying right now. Gosh this whole night has been emotional. Everyone loves you. Don't end your life dont hurt yourself from what you've expressed you have soo much to give the world and it is not only unfair to yourself and us but to the world for getting rid of an amazing human being.

6. Emberblaze

Just because you can't find a reason to love yourself, doesn't mean there's nobody who'll love you. I know that darkly feeling of loneliness, and it can be crippling.

I can't pretend to give you some profound words of advice that will make everything better. I wish I could... If i could, i'd say them in a heartbeat.

But all I can say is, you're not alone. Not anymore. Now that I've read your story and now that I've heard your pain, I'm here for you. And so is everyone else here on this website.

We aren't just faceless people behind a screen. We're the ones that are here to help. We're the ones that matter, and so are you. You want to write books and make music? Sure, it may not make money, but you can do it in your spare time.

And I don't know how much music writting makes, but if you publish a few good books, you can rake in cash in royalties.

But share what you have to offer. Show the world that you're SOMEONE and let them know who you are. Let them know that you've come too far to lose and that you will not be defeated by life.

You can do it.

7. revi

revi Guest

Obviously judging by how beautiful your inside is you can write great books and I am sure someone out there loves you just like all of us and your soul mate will some day.

8. Serephina

... Thank you, all of you. You have no idea how much all of this means to me... Thank you -hugs everyone-​

9. revi

revi Guest

We don't require a thanks for telling the truth. I'm sorry but I think you well deserve the truth :slight_smile:

10. Emberblaze

We're here for you. Jinsei wa tatakai, life's a battle, and we'll be your allies. More importantly, we'll be your friends.

11. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The fact that u are still here despite all the horrible things you've been through shows just how invincible you are. Keep living, keep strong...know that one day this will be a distant memory, that will, fortunately, show that indeed there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
    *hugs & kisses*

12. Aielar

Hugs, you're an amazing person for going through everything you described above. Don't give up, your life will change for the better, just keep believing in that :slight_smile: We're here for you.

13. Torii

(*hug*) please don't give up on life, I know it's hard now and that it most likely won't be easier in the immediate future but please just know that in the end it's all going to be worth it, I promise ^-^
    (and I know what you're going through because I've done the same things :frowning2: however I wasn't abused so I can't understand that, but I do know the craving to cut and the want to die *hides under blankie* :tears:

14. Tildeunderscore

I was abused as a child, my arm tells a sorry tale but 4 years later I feel the best I ever have, like i'm getting better. One day you will feel this way too

15. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

From what you wrote, it can be seen (the beauty of your soul).

You are a powerful person, a wondrous and complex person, a desire for music and writing shows that you have within you talents to unbind and show all the world the beauty that lies within one such as yourself.

YOU are important. YOU are one of the few that will bring light to the darkness.

Please know that you are special beyond words on a screen, beyond things unseen.

You have place in this world, one that in time will shine brightly.

Don't go into that night of darkness that is hate, and pain.

Remember YOU ARE LOVED.

When you can stay here with us. We will care for you in anyway we can. Because YOU deserve love and should have been loved your whole life.

Be welcome here, we will not fail you.(*hug*)

16. Sweedledome

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know you and you don't know me but your writing is so poetical and honest in style that I felt compelled to comment and tell you that there is always someone out there who cares for you. In truth, i'm shit at giving advice or comfort. My friends tell me i'm the best person to go to if you want a really good hug (would do the hug symbol but I haven't figured out how to do that yet) and someone to sit there and listen while you shout a bit but i'm naturally very awkward about expressing how I care.
    That is why you should feel special, your writing/story is so emotive that someone in a country many many miles away feels encouraged to speak out and tell you that you are awesome. You are awesome in so many ways, even if you don't know it yet. There is someone out there who knows how awesome you are though, someone who cares, even if you don't think there is. Your story is eerily reminiscent of one of my friends, she doesn't know it but I leave my phone ringer volume on its loudest setting and place it by my head each night so I can literally be there for her 24/7. You'd be surprised just how much someone can care, they might just be really awkward about expressing it like me =P
    If it helps, you've got a random English girl believing in you, every step of the way =)

17. Serephina

I want to thank all of you for being so... just... perfect. I'm smiling for the first time in the past two days because you all have the hugest hearts. If I could stretch my arms around the world and give you all massive, never ending hugs, I'd do it in a heart beat. Frick. I love all your faces. Thank you so much.​

18. AlexisAnne

Most of what I say will probably be a repeat of things you've heard in this thread already, but I feel compelled to comment anyway, so there :slight_smile:

First of all, you're a gifted writer. You're writing conveys your emotion so clearly, and you have a power with words.

I'm not a cutter, and have never really had the urge, but I know what it's like to be unable to love yourself, and to think that nobody out there could ever love you. It's a terrible feeling. Keep on going though. Things are bleak right now, but you're obviously a strong person having come this far, you'll get through this. I know you will.

I hope that things improve for you, and I know that after reading this, I'll be thinking about you and wondering how you're doing. We all care about you here. (*hug*)

19. justgowithit

I don't know you, but it means so much to me you're pushing through all this. Since you're 17 you won't have to deal with them much longer.

20. Serephina

Thank you, both of you. -hugs-​