1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On not coming out and parent death

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tacofarts42, Nov 11, 2012.

1. tacofarts42

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am pretty close to my family. I live with my dad and step-mom and am caretaker for my terminally ill mother. I identify as "gender queer" and "pansexual" but my family isn't really ok with LGBT stuff, so I have to keep it a secret. It used to not be a big deal, really. I present as female, like my family is used to. I have only dated straight men. I have been playing the part for years. I am now out of college and starting my own life and it is becoming clear to me that I am not happy pretending to be straight and cis.

I find myself more attracted to women, and eyeing "men's" clothes with a longing. My mother has made it very clear that she would not be ok with me being queer. She is dying and I really don't want to disappoint her right before she goes.

Part of me wonders if these feelings are coming up because of her illness. Like, is my emotional distress making me THINK I am unhappy with these things, like I am trying to find something else to worry about so I won't have to worry about the pain of her illness? Are these feelings real? Maybe I am just worrying too much.

Has anyone else experience something like this? I am her only child and have taken on the role of her only support system along with her elderly parents. How do I cope with my own life and journey and feelings without ruining what little time I have left with her? I know I shouldn't even be worrying about relationships while I go through this, but having to do this alone is scary. I want to find someone that makes me happy and will help me get through this, but I am not even sure if that is a good idea.

I do have friends, but we are all just trying to live our lives and pay our bills so they don't always have time for me. I am not sure if this is the right place to talk about this, but I needed to get it out.

How do I be "okay" with never coming out? How do I balance self-discovery with this kind of pain? How can I make more friends or get the advice and help I need without feeling useless and stupid and stuck in this fake life that I pretend to live for my family? How do I deal with my sexuality and my relationship with my mother both before and after her death? Would acting more "queer" after she died be disrespectful to her memory?

2. Alan Lewrie

Unfortunately, as much as I hate to recommend it, this is probably a good idea. I just wish the decision didn't have to be made for these reasons.

When I moved home to take care of a dying loved one I was the only member of my family within 600 miles, aside from the aforementioned terminally ill family member. I felt extremely isolated and alone, and even though my friends were always there for me as much or more than to be expected I was still empty feeling. There was no reason to come out to this family member, as I knew the love was unconditional so saying such things were unnecessary and not really possible (dementia is a horrible thing to witness), so I haven't felt any guilt not doing so. Honestly for about nine months I couldn't get out of the house for more than an hour or two a day, so even if I met Mr/Ms right things would have been difficult, but I would have felt far better.

To answer your question, yes the things going on in your life have a large bearing on your feelings, and not having someone who has undivided attention and care for your trials, and who can be there for you, can definitely make things harder to cope with. It's only natural to want that sort of relief and companionship, I don't think there is anything odd about that.

It most certainly is!

I don't think you need to be okay with never coming out, nor do I think it is all that healthy of a decision in the long term, for the reasons you describe above. In time, despite how bad things are and can be, you will find a time a place to make your own way through life, as freely as you want.

Hang in there, don't give up, and don't resign yourself having to live a lie, even if it seems sensible now, that doesn't mean it will be forever. (*hug*)

3. tacofarts42

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, I actually feel better after reading that. Good to hear supportive words. It doesn't always feel like I will get through this. My mother is going mentally as well, unfortunately, so I understand completely that isolated feeling. She is not my mother anymore (or not the same person I used to know), and even though I want to help her, her confusion and mood swings are a lot to have to wade through all the time. She has a lot of outbursts at me about my appearance already, so I know I can't really push it on the gender thing.

4. Alan Lewrie

You aren't alone, especially here, and I'm glad if I can be even a tiny bit of help.

For almost all of those nine months I would wake up, several times a day (I don't think I slept longer than three hours in a stretch at most) wondering how the hell I was going to make it another minute, hour, day, week, or month... somehow I did, I just don't know how exactly.

I'm really sorry to hear that, when my grandfather started appearing frail years ago I thought things couldn't get any more sad and depressing, but seeing him slowly robbed of his intelligence and eloquence was the hardest thing I've ever dealt with, I don't think I could do it again, especially alone, and be living once all was said and done.

My grandfather, in the final months of his life, became convinced I was a doppleganger (an identical body double) and not to be trusted with even the most mundane details of day to day life. He also had an arsenal dispersed around the house before he started thinking I was an imposter... I eventually removed the firing pins from all the handguns, and put all the rifles up a flight of stairs. Needless to say, before I found them all and did that it made life very 'interesting' for awhile.

I'm terribly sorry you are having to deal with this, especially on top of trying to make sense of your life in ways most people can't relate to or understand. I wish I could offer more advice, but seeing your post I had to add what little I could... if I can be any help at all in the future feel free to msg me.

#4 Alan Lewrie, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, (*hug*)

You are doing something very loving and commendable, taking care of your mother in her last moments. It's a difficult time to go through for sure, having that internal debate of tell/don't tell. I had that debate every one of the 90 days between my parent's deaths, and while Mom was probably more open to things, her mind was going and everything was becoming a source of confusion and agitation.

It can also feel lonely, and before it gets better it's probably going to get worse. I remember feeling awful at the mere sight of siblings and relatives that had significant others to comfort them and help out with "the regular day-to-day life stuff" while we were dealing with funeral arrangements etc... Then you will have the awkward "So how come a pretty girl like you isn't married yet" from long-lost relatives and people you don't know or remember. Just take a deep breath, smile, nod, "thanks for coming it means a lot to us". They just don't know any better.

Friends often don't know how to help, and often don't want to overstep boundaries between friends and family, so don't be afraid of being a little specific in your comments or requests for help.

Beside having very little free time as Alan posted above, this may not be the best time to meet someone new and start a relationship, because emotionally you may not have enough left to put in that relationship - and that's ok, we can't be everything to everyone all the time.

As far as honoring her memory after she passes, I think a good way to do this is to be the best version of you that you can be, and only you know what that is, not what anyone else thinks you should be doing.

As far as never coming out to her, if you believe in some form of afterlife she will know at that time. Some people write a letter to the person and place it in the casket before cremation or burial, maybe you would find comfort and closure from that.

6. Alan Lewrie

It is very commendable indeed. I don't have much advice regarding the awkwardness, it still seems to crop up every now and then when someone asks specific things I don't feel they should.

Very good advice.

Indeed, I should have added this. I don't think it would have been very fair to the other person were I involved with anyone, during my rare few hours of freedom I was in no great frame of mind.

Indeed, be who ever you want to be, just be a good person doing so.

Taco, were you referring to dealing with never coming out to her, or people in general? I may have misunderstood. In whichever case, now probably isn't the best time for this, it would just be so much more for her and you to process.

7. tacofarts42

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I won't ever come out to her. It would hurt her too much. As for the rest of my family, I am not going to go out of my way about it either. It sounds pretty dark, but hopefully after she passes I will be able to move out on my own and have my own life, and if that is the case, there will be less pressure for me to worry about my gender and sexuality. If I can't move out on my own, and am still taking care of people, well, I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I know not having a relationship is best. I had to break off a 2 year one recently because of all this stress, and how mean it made me towards him. I guess I am just worried that the stress of this will never go away, and I will end up NEVER being able to connect with someone again. Then again that may have more to do with my upbringing than with this specific tragedy.

Really though, thank you for the help and support. I have been feeling so isolated and confused, I don't know which way is up, so to speak.