1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pastor Used Derogatory Terms...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Emberblaze, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Emberblaze

Yeah, so this morning my mom woke me up and said that we're going to church. Now we usually go to this one church (I'll call it Church S) and I like that one it's nice and all. In the past, we went to another one (which I'll Call Church B), and I wasn't too fond of it for a few reasons, but to make a long story short, one of the reasons being that the pastor of Church B would ALWAYS, every week, for whatever reason, say "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and that started to get on my nerves (among other things).

Eventually, me and my mom stopped goin to Church B, and we found Church S, which I'm rather fond of. Now, Church S DID have a whole sermon where the preacher actually analyzed the entire Bible and came to a plausible conclusion to whether or not the Bible approves of homosexuality, but he was respectable about it, and at at the end, clarified that he was just reading what the Bible said. He's the type of person that would still be supportive regardless of his opinion and views.

Anyways, little thing about me, I've already found my peace with God about the matter, and I've come to the conclusion that he loves me regardless and that he knows my heart almost always has good intentions. I'm no saint, of course, but that's how it is.

Anyways, so, to get to the point. We went to Church B this morning and I was beginning to think that I'd actually get through the sermon without hearing his adam and eve, not steeve thing. But basically, he did worse that that.

He began with the little adam eve steve phrase, and then just went into harsh-mudslinging mode! he was like, "I'm not even gonna call them gay, because gay means happy and those queers aren't happy! They ain't nothin but a bunch of queers and faggots! And if you're a faggot, you ain't gonna like this, but you ain't nothin but a nasty homosexual!"

The whole time I was just biting my teeth. And I couldn't believe that people were actually nodding and agreeing with it!

So after has little gay slandering (by the way, it's a pretty small church) he's all like if anyone wants to get prayed for come forward, and naturally the whole churd pretty much does, but I just sat in my seat.

Everyone in the church was looking at me crazy and m mom kept signaling for me to come up, and after a while, I pretty much had no choice.

And he ended that note on saying "blah blah blah, people need to learn how to forgive blah blah blah." And he's all like you need to forgive people, even if it's me, blah blah blah. And he's like repeat after me and prompted us all to utter this "forgive all that have wronged me prayer"

And In my head, Im just like "you just called my a queer, dirty, nasty faggot..."

Sooo... I guess im just ranting... but that kinda hurt/pissed me off

2. Tombgeek

Tombgeek Guest

I can understand how you feel. You have every right to be angry. However, if I were you, I'd just never go back there. Life's too short to put up with that abuse. I'd just tell your mother you're never stepping foot in that church again because you share completely different views with the pastor and just go to a church of your choice.

3. Emberblaze

Yeah, my mom is usually reluctant to go there as well, but my aunt invited us cuz it was bring your family day or something and my mom doesnt know how to say no sometimes.

But I certainly will not be going back there. And if my mom asks why I feel so strongly, I'm just gonna be straight forward with her

And thanks for the reply

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you had to hear that crap. It sounds like a southern baptist church. :rolle: If you don't want to get into the reasons why you don't want to attend that church, I would just tell your mother that you like the other one a lot more and try to be persistent on having a desire to go to that one. If you're vocal about liking one, I would think she'd be glad to hear you at least enjoy church a little bit and would be happy to attend the one you like.

5. Emberblaze

Lols, Lance, well, we're in the south and it is a baptist church, so yeah you hit it spot on! I dunno though, maybe it's nearing the time I come out to my mom. I haven't really had a reason to yet

6. TheSeeker

Ok, stuff like that just burns me up. I was christian for a very long time and my faith was the number one reason I didn't come out until now. I finally got disgusted with the idea that any god would make me this way and then force me to subscribe to a religion that hates people like me.

Just because it says it's a sin (2 times in 66 books) then it gives legions of ignorant and intolerant people leave to persecute people like us. So, in summary I am not a big fan of religion in general and firmly believe that to be gay and christian can only bring pain to people like us.

That said, I understand that some people don't want to give up their childhood faith, so what to do about your severely homophobic pastor. I have to say, in all my years as a christian and all the churches I have been to, I have never had a pastor say something so blindly ignorant.

If your Mom is open minded, come out to her and explain that you never want to go to a church like that again. Hopefully she'll understand how awful words like that make you feel. There are churches that are more accepting of people like us, but they are few and far between. I am sure you can find one if you look hard enough.

Good luck, and be happy!

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with TheSeeker. If you're not already out to your mom, even if you feel mildly unsafe to do so, I think that she needs to hear how hurt this made you feel. I can't even imagine.

I mean, I've read offensive stuff about us... everyday in fact. But I hardly ever hear it in person. If I hear something like that, it would be all I could do to keep from crying, becoming physically violent, or both.

8. Serephina

Awh Blaze ): they're just stupid poopy faces, and they all deserve to have a dog pee on them. -nods-

I swear, we need to just have teleporting pants so any time one of us goes through crap like this, we can all just be there, and beat the hell outta the bigot dickheads.

Well, we love you long time :3 -hugs-​

9. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It seems that you're at peace with yourself and your god as far as sexual orientation goes, so go for it, come out to your mom.

10. Jim1454

Whether you come out to your mom or not, I think it's a good conversation to have with her. Let her know that you DON'T see gays in that way, and you take offense when other people do. It isn't just gays who should be horribly offended at what he said - but everyone with any decency. So you don't need to come out to your mom to have that conversation...

11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow.

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2012 at 04:10 PM ----------

I was a Christian most of my life as well, but I've never heard stuff like this in person. (Mostly.) Our Southern Baptist church never even alked about homosexuality when I was around for the most part, probably when I wasn't looking though.
    There are alot of churches and people out there who believe much differently than this person, people who believe the Bible is mistranslated and misinterpreted by humans, which I'm sure you already know. So I believe you can be a happy gay Christian, as you most certainly do NOT have to believe in a god that does such things.
    Now my mind is all over the subject thanks to this thread again and making me want to go to a UCC church sort of close to here, I keep lurking on the website and the pastor is a lesbian. :slight_smile: Maybe I need to make my own thread.

12. Emberblaze

Heh thanks everyone for the replies and all, it's a warming feeling having caring peoples back you up ^^

You all are probably right though about coming out to my mom. I actually did once before (kinda) and then retreated back into the closet the next day by quickly finding a "girlfriend".

Whenever my mom DOES talk about homosexuality though, she usually says something along the lines of 'I don't necessarily condone it, but it's not my place to judge' ect. ect.

The only thing stopping me from coming out to her is I already know she's gonna wanna have a long, awkward, agonizing 8 hour talk about it, and it gives me the shivers just THINKING about having to hear my mom's falsetto voice talk to me like a child for that long.

Lols, maybe I should come out to my dad first (he lives in Florida). Heh, I can already see how that would go:
    Me- dad I'm gay
    Dad- good, now you can't knock a girl up

^^ aaaah, I love my pops

13. TheSeeker

I am sure you will make the right decision. Just so long as you don't stay closeted on other people's account. If you think your Dad would take it that way... By all means come out to him first.

Sorry, I know it is disturbing; and either one of those options is indicative of emotional distress, but I can't help wanting to see you beating the sh*t out of a pastor while sobbing uncontrollably. It warms my heart.

I didn't ever hear my pastor say this kind of stuff either, but it's more of a matter of whether or not I want to be a part of a community where I am accepted by only the fringe. There is a basic judgmental attitude I have encountered in even the most liberal churches that drives me insane. The price of being right is that there is always someone else who has to be wrong.

14. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep searching, my church has special events for Pride weekend, they decorate the church with pink and rainbow balloons, everyone is in favor of gay marriage and everything, and a lot of my lgbt friends go there. There really are churches that don't have any kind of judgmental attitude. Don't give up on your faith just because of some other people. Believe what you believe.

15. TheSeeker

I didn't drop my faith for only that reason. I was living with muslims when I lost my faith and they were so similar to the christians I knew back home that I figured "well, they can't both be right; yet both are equally convinced of their own infallibility! Therefore, maybe both are wrong..." I didn't leave my faith because I was Bi (though that helped), I left because I stopped believing it. That's all, I have no problem with you guys continuing in your path; I just took a different turn... And that has made all the difference (Frost)

16. Emberblaze

I've gotta pretty strong faith so I'm not worried about that at all. And it'd take a lot more than a bunch of mud-slinging from a pastor that I don't have too much respect for in the first place to change ANY of my beliefs in ANY way, shape, form, or fashion.

The other church that we usually go to is pretty nice and nobody really ever brings up controversial issues so there's no "disapproving aura" about the place.

Once again, thanks for the replies everyone! ^^

TheSeeker
    Lols i'm certain my dad would take it that way actually. I remember he and me and my sister were in the car and (i forgot why) he said if either one of us was gay, he wouldn't care, it'd spare him the trouble of any accidental pregnancies.
    Heh, and that may sound cold, but me and my dad are rather sarcastic people, so that comment he said basically translates to "i'll support you and love you no matter what"

^^